Valentine's Day 1st Annual Hatch Along

I'm locking down tonight as I set some a day early and some a day late so some of these will be in lockdown and extra day. Done it before with no problems so well see about this time.

Misfit morgan- thanks so much. I did put them in late that day so hopefully im good but anyway just ran and took the younger eggs out into another incubator and put my 12 out of 24 eggs that made it to lockdown IN LOCKDOWN! Many of the 12 that didnt progress were very dirty. Im not sure if this effects fertility or i just got a bad batch? They definitely experienced shipping from hell, as most of the air sacs were misshapen and/ or loose. Anyway 12 in lockdown. Thanks again.

My eggs went in late Saturday night (the 24th) so I'm locking them down tomorrow morning. Last time I think I locked down too late and I had several mal-positioned chicks.

Last edited:
is it possible for a full incubator to spike independently of the heating unit? i mean at some point along development the embryos become endothermic, so with a full incubator can they alone by biomass collectively raise the internal temp in a styrofoam (insulated) unit?

is it possible for a full incubator to spike independently of the heating unit? i mean at some point along development the embryos become endothermic, so with a full incubator can they alone by biomass collectively raise the internal temp in a styrofoam (insulated) unit?
I do not know!! The last few days of my incubation the power went out (fir 10 hours) and when i felt the eggs just as the power came on they were a little warm...so i guess thye could to a point!

Im questioning if my brand new LG egg turner quit on me. I did a final candle on Saturday 2/7 (only 1 clear -woohoo!) and the eggs were pointing south. I know it is a slow rotation thing. Then every time I checked Monday, they were pointing south. I was home due to snow day, so looked at them more than usual. Looked like the one hygrometer slipped and was partially stuck under a row as they were pointing south, but still did not change position as of this morning. I unplugged the turner for 10 min, then replugged. At the time I left for work, it appeared they were slowly moving back to center on the way to pointing north. Hoping it didn't actually quit on me! Even more important, I hope the chicks are ok! I set my eggs evening of 1/24, so it is time to pull them out tonight or tomorrow morning. Will leave the turner plugged in outside of the incubator to watch if it moves. Still got the sales reciept for TSC to return if needed.

I look for the slope in eggs before I lock down.

Lock down. I know at least 4 are due on the 13th, I may have slipped one or 2 more in a day later, so I will not be finished till all hatched. The good news is they are all developing on time. they are bantams.

Last edited:
Im questioning if my brand new LG egg turner quit on me. I did a final candle on Saturday 2/7 (only 1 clear -woohoo!) and the eggs were pointing south. I know it is a slow rotation thing. Then every time I checked Monday, they were pointing south. I was home due to snow day, so looked at them more than usual. Looked like the one hygrometer slipped and was partially stuck under a row as they were pointing south, but still did not change position as of this morning. I unplugged the turner for 10 min, then replugged. At the time I left for work, it appeared they were slowly moving back to center on the way to pointing north. Hoping it didn't actually quit on me! Even more important, I hope the chicks are ok! I set my eggs evening of 1/24, so it is time to pull them out tonight or tomorrow morning. Will leave the turner plugged in outside of the incubator to watch if it moves. Still got the sales reciept for TSC to return if needed.
try putting a large bead (but still round) of water with food coloring in it, if it shifts you will see the streak. i would suggest bb's but those may move just from getting bumped.

Misfit morgan- thanks so much. I did put them in late that day so hopefully im good but anyway just ran and took the younger eggs out into another incubator and put my 12 out of 24 eggs that made it to lockdown IN LOCKDOWN! Many of the 12 that didnt progress were very dirty. Im not sure if this effects fertility or i just got a bad batch? They definitely experienced shipping from hell, as most of the air sacs were misshapen and/ or loose. Anyway 12 in lockdown. Thanks again.

someone shipped you dirty eggs? arg!

Shipped eggs that have been covered in egg yolk/white from shipping tragedies, have never hatched for me. I think the egg yolk/white smeared on the outside of a good egg is such a great feeding ground for bacteria that it kills the baby chick. I have washed some.... but those haven't hatched either.

However, I have hatched eggs with some poop and mud on them.

Back
Top Bottom