Valentine's Day Hatch

i set a few days early and if set day is 0 then today is day 7 for me, i candled last night.
i didnt pull anything, but i am fairly certain i have 10 infertile eggs (out of 32) turning with the rest of them. maybe i'm wrong tho so i wont pull til next time i candle - or when things start to smell. today i rehomed 6 of my christmas hatch chicks to a very good friend.

Since I have 3 eggs I am turning by hand, I have to get into my incubator anyway. So tonight when I did my final turn for the night, I took my candler and just quickly touched it to the top of each egg without picking them up.

12 - campine eggs, all with strong veining
12 - Trader Joe eggs, all with strong veining
9 - EE, couldn't really see into the shell
12 - free range local eggs (that I was hoping they had a rooster), about half of them are too dark to see (marans), the rest look to not be fertile. So possibly they have no rooster in with the ladies.

I plan to take a good look at them at day 10............if I can display patience.

Deb

They are eating Blue Seal foods, not Duck Micracle Gro! They recommend game bird starter (22% protein) for the first 3 weeks (that's what I feed chicks). I fed it for about a week before being scared about the growth rate and possibility of angel wing. Then I went down to turkey grower pellets which is 18% protein and what my adult chickens eat. At 2 or 3 weeks I started feeding them the 16% protein food. They always had access a few times a day to peas, lettuce, kale, grapes, mealworms etc. Boyfriend fed them corn flakes a few times, too. :) The growth rate really didn't slow down much on the food change. They also got some b complex vitamins in their water because fatty Kowalski had some leg issues early on. He's fine now.

They are pekin, swedish and rouen cross.

And to clarify, they're not 30 lbs EACH... it was total, so they're about 6 lbs each. Or, well, they were last week at least.

Maybe I'll weigh them again today on their way outside.

So they're not supposed to be this "advanced" at 5 weeks?

Last edited:
Anyone else candled yet?
hide.gif
lol.png
Day 3 here and I've already candled.

70% fertility on my Polish so far, 14/20 eggs good and alive.

68% fertility on my EE so far, 15/22 eggs good and alive.

I candled early, too, and 9 out of 10 Silver Grey Dorkings were developing. I plan to candle again tonight, just to check that one egg that looked like it had no development, to see if it's still clear or not.

I candled last night and I have 10 of Nellies beauties going and what looks like 12 of Jim's awesome Iowa Blues
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif
. The lady that came for silkies yesterday bought me out on my silkies
yesss.gif
annnnd the Bantam Ameraucanas straight out of the incubator
clap.gif
ya.gif
bun.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
celebrate.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif

Last edited:
total so far.
53 cot eggs set, 35 developing(gonna have to do nother test with another roo with the EW hens to see why they're not fertile. SF the NYD chick might be saved from the freezer)
16 chicken eggs set 9 developing.
I'm disappointed in the EW hens eggs, was looking forward to seeing their chicks, the roo they are with is a big hefty bird.

Since I never got the Icelandic eggs, I guess I better sign up with the 50 I put in on Tuesday. My hatch-within-a-hatch is going well, I'll have 40-50 going into lockdown on Wednesday. Boy, I'm going to have to look into the brooder situation.
hide.gif

I candled last night and I have 10 of Nellies beauties going and what looks like 12 of Jim's awesome Iowa Blues
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif
. The lady that came for silkies yesterday bought me out on my silkies
yesss.gif
annnnd the Bantam Ameraucanas straight out of the incubator
clap.gif
ya.gif
bun.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
celebrate.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif

Great job Melissa Rose!
celebrate.gif
on both!! I candled my Nellie Ameraucanas and it looks like 10 out of 11 are showing good development!!
ya.gif
The marans are super dark and I didn't want to be picking them up, so I will wait a few more days on those!

9catz, all but 2 of yours look like they have good development
clap.gif

YAY!!
ya.gif
Sounds like everyone is having some good development!!! Didn't get to candle tonight like I planned, been busy finishing the coop with my DH and brother in law, we got it done though!!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom