wee.gif
love.gif

State license for what?

To sell live chickens in public markets in the State of Texas
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Okay, I'm officially in (boy do I miss having those developing eggs from the NYD hatch).

The eggs need to set on 1/24, but on 1/28 I'm leaving on a 10+ hour road trip to drive up to the Oregon coast. I'll then be in a timeshare for a week and then drive back.

So I just ordered a converter for the jack in my car so I can plug in the incubator. I think the normal jostling involved in the car will take care of turning duties until we get there and I can plug the turner in as well (don't want to put too much of a draw on the car's electrical). The converter is scheduled to arrive no later than the 20th, but Amazon is FAST!

Since I don't want to risk this endeavor to pricey eggs, I'm going to make this my "refrigerator" hatch attempt. I'm going to get a dozen eggs from Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and the local health food store. The local store isn't marked fertile, but free range and from a local producer. They sell a mix of brown eggs and EE eggs in the carton. I'll probably fill out the bator with my own campine & EE eggs. On the NYD hatch, I put in two campine eggs that had been refrigerated just because I was 2 eggs short of what I said I was going to set. Those two eggs hatched out fine and one had been "on ice" for two days.

So, I may end up with the lowest hatch rate around, but it will be an experiment (and I've always fancied myself to be a bit of a Bill Nye kind of girl!).

smile.png

Deb

I'm panning to have the 'Broody Battery Park' built by the time we set, then I can pop eggs under some willing ladies. Easy for me and breaks my broodies too.
smile.png

Looking at a dozen small pens, multi level (at least 2 anyway) and all big enough to house the broody and her babies for at least the first few weeks.
I need somewhere to put all these ladies!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom