Valentine's Day Hatch

Update on my miracle babies, 5 are doing great.
big_smile.png

Sadly I lost two chickies.
sad.png
One hadn't absorbed all it's yolk and the other the tiny weak chickie I had to help out of the egg. It was only about half the size of the others and never stopped peeping. I'm sad but I guess it wasn't meant to be, it would never have hatched without intervention.

I'll have to get some pics to post, I'm loving everyone's cute chicks and I'm sorry for those having bad hatches.
hugs.gif

Out of 23 that made it to lockdown, I am up to 14 chicks now, 11 or possibly 10 from Hot2Pot blue eggs and three NN!

I haven't been able to count the shells yet so not sure if one chick is from a blue egg or from one of my brown. Have pulled nine fluffers from the bator and five still drying.. two eggs or maybe three are pipped and I can't tell for sure on the rest yet. :p If I get 12 from my NYD prize eggs I'll be thrilled, since I 'won' a dozen and she sent two dozen so anything over 12 is gravy - and these are shipped eggs that spent a week in the postal system-- even better!

ETA: SuperRX - TapeChick (tm) is alive! Barely, I don't know if it will make it, but it's alive as of this writing. I finally caved and pulled the egg since all my other chicks were out of the bator and I'm just waiting for stragglers.. It had pipped, but on the underside and on the wrong end. Slightly shrinkwrapped, too (which is pretty good considering the multiple cracks I was covering with tape. I pulled the beak out, wrapped it in a warm towel and back it went. It's a little weak, but still peeping. I think it had been pipped for a loong time but since it was on the wrong end and it had a bad aircell, was having problems.

Last edited:
Had to do a rescue last night, 1 of my first cochin eggs that had a big pip about the size of my thumb got shrink wrapped, everyone else had hatched that had pipped and I could see him in his shell still moving and he had been like that for almost 48 hours, so I took a bobby pin and broke him away from the shell but half of his body was like glued where he couldn't move and his eyes were sealed shut so DH and I filled up the the sink with warm water and put him in it and gently took a wash cloth and dabbed his eyes till he could open them them got his wing unglued by submerging his body in the warm water and gently massaging his little body. We got all the goop off him and put him back in the bator to dry and he slowly started walking around and building up his strength and this morning he was so alert! I had planned on selling all the cochins I hatched and was only going to keep my silkies but I'm going to keep this little guy, he's a miracle!! I was so happy so see him chirping at me this morning!!!
love.gif
That brings my final # to 17 hatched out of 25 that made it to lock down.
celebrate.gif

Had to do a rescue last night, 1 of my first cochin eggs that had a big pip about the size of my thumb got shrink wrapped, everyone else had hatched that had pipped and I could see him in his shell still moving and he had been like that for almost 48 hours, so I took a bobby pin and broke him away from the shell but half of his body was like glued where he couldn't move and his eyes were sealed shut so DH and I filled up the the sink with warm water and put him in it and gently took a wash cloth and dabbed his eyes till he could open them them got his wing unglued by submerging his body in the warm water and gently massaging his little body. We got all the goop off him and put him back in the bator to dry and he slowly started walking around and building up his strength and this morning he was so alert! I had planned on selling all the cochins I hatched and was only going to keep my silkies but I'm going to keep this little guy, he's a miracle!! I was so happy so see him chirping at me this morning!!!
love.gif
That brings my final # to 17 hatched out of 25 that made it to lock down.
celebrate.gif

That same thing happened to me so we helped it out and it had not absorbed the yolk it was really weak last time i saw it and i wont be back for like another hour and i can't wait to see if it's okay or not...

The two recovering IAB are still doing just that, the weakest one still laying so still in his shell is so weak I doubt he will make it but he is still fighting...also I took some pics I have basically had a week long hatch first up was hot2pots then em vicorys and then Kari's and Johns barred rocks... Well now I have fluffy AM.s hatching and then two strangling silkies for a friend. Here is a link to pics of hot2pots soooo cute check it out!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ck-brother-sister-chat-a-long/50#post_8416106
hots silkies are also sizzles! well 4 are....and the TINIEST sebright baby ever! fits in a teaspoon!

I will post more of Emvicorys silkies too, so precious...

Update on the TapeChick: (for those who didn't see when I first set it, I fumble fingered an egg when getting it out of the shipping box, cracked it pretty badly on the aircell side and repaired it with an "X" of scotch tape, since I had nothing else handy)..

TapeChick is OUT and peeping! I had to help it, as when I went to check on the egg, I discovered that s/he was not in fact shrinkwrapped, but huge - probably due to a messed up aircell, the poor little chick had outgrown the egg and could not turn to get out. The butt was up stuck where the aircell should be and the beak had pipped out the small end - once helping it out it's weak but appears to be fully formed, yolk absorbed, no shrinkwrap or bleeding. I have hopes that it will be fine. :)

Two more eggs have pipped, the two that were still peeping. All the other chicks are in the brooder. If all goes well and there's no surprises I should have 17/23 that went to lockdown. Not bad for mostly shipped eggs!

Back
Top Bottom