Vent Gleet 7 days Treatment not working

Jun 13, 2022
Hello again, still clogging up this forum

My poor Babs has now had Vent Gleet for 7 days (I believe its vent gleet). She is constantly dripping a white paste (slight tinge of yellow) and clear liquid all day. I have to clean her vent morning and night and have been applying canestan on everytime. Shes been isolated from the flock but I am now getting very worried about the reintroduction as her healing is taking so long. 7 days ago she had a prolapse that was pecked by the other girls and was seen by vet straight away, the white liquid in vent started later that evening. There was a suspected worms/coccidiosis outbreak in the flock so they are all on treatment for that and ends tomorrow. Babs had been on antibiotics for 7 days due to the wounds around her vent, I dont know if this is the cause of her vent gleet not getting better. I have tried mixing apple cidar vinagar in natural yogurt everyday but cant give her much else due to the coxoid and flubevent. She seems very well in her self and is running around fine. She is also on anti inflammatory. The antibiotics and anti Inflammatorys end tomorrow morning. I will also be giving them 'Beryls friendly bacteria' tomorrow too.

Should I give it a few more days with some probiotics and more yogurt etc or should I seek a vets appointment? Shes cost me alot this month so trying to avoid vets as much as possible but if she needs to go then I will take her.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am worried about her. Thanks xx

What are you using to treat the possible vent gleet?
When I spoke to the vet 7 days ago (called them after the visit) she said give her natural yogurt, some apple cider vinegar and apply canestan round the vent and slightly inside. She also gets a soak every other day in epsom salt water and her vent gets washed twice daily with epsom salt water. Thats all she said to do and told me to look at the British Hen Welfare Trust page for Vent gleet and it said the same thing. I dont know if there is a medication for it?

When I spoke to the vet 7 days ago (called them after the visit) she said give her natural yogurt, some apple cider vinegar and apply canestan round the vent and slightly inside. She also gets a soak every other day in epsom salt water and her vent gets washed twice daily with epsom salt water. Thats all she said to do and told me to look at the British Hen Welfare Trust page for Vent gleet and it said the same thing. I dont know if there is a medication for it?
It must be treated with an antifungal, such as that used for treating a yeast infection.

7 days ago she had a prolapse that was pecked by the other girls and was seen by vet straight away, the white liquid in vent started later that evening. There was a suspected worms/coccidiosis outbreak in the flock so they are all on treatment for that and ends tomorrow. Babs had been on antibiotics for 7 days due to the wounds around her vent, I dont know if this is the cause of her vent gleet not getting better. I have tried mixing apple cidar vinagar in natural yogurt everyday but cant give her much else due to the coxoid and flubevent.
Please get some updated photos of the hen and vent.

Looking at one of your numerous threads you've had, I do see one photo from last week.
I agree, it does not look like vent gleet. You noted there was no odor.

Your hen suffered a prolapsed with damaged/picked tissue. It's not uncommon for there to be a whitish discharge during and after prolapse. It's usually urates. A damaged and picked vent could be leaking for sure.

Keep the tissue cleaned the best you can. Put a barrier cream on the skin to help the urates from burning and sticking.

Ex Battery hens can have a lot of reproductive difficulties, so a lot of times supportive care may be all that you can offer. Deworming, keeping them hydrated, treat parasites and when they have had enough, kindly put them down.
It's the pits I know.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/vent-prolapse-and-white-liquid.1541603/post-26024199

Please get some updated photos of the hen and vent.

Looking at one of your numerous threads you've had, I do see one photo from last week.
I agree, it does not look like vent gleet. You noted there was no odor.

Your hen suffered a prolapsed with damaged/picked tissue. It's not uncommon for there to be a whitish discharge during and after prolapse. It's usually urates. A damaged and picked vent could be leaking for sure.

Keep the tissue cleaned the best you can. Put a barrier cream on the skin to help the urates from burning and sticking.

Ex Battery hens can have a lot of reproductive difficulties, so a lot of times supportive care may be all that you can offer. Deworming, keeping them hydrated, treat parasites and when they have had enough, kindly put them down.
It's the pits I know.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/vent-prolapse-and-white-liquid.1541603/post-26024199
Hello, thanks for your response. Ive attached a pic of this evening before I washed her.

Shes finished her antibiotics and anti inflammatorys today and finishes her coxoid and worming tomorrow. I dont fully believe its vent gleet due to the lack of odour but I have never had a chicken with vent gleet before. Its probably what you said about the urates. Shes so lively and does not seem unwell or like its bothering her at all. She runs around all day and is eating and drinking well. Is there a cure for this leaking? Shes due to go to the vet this week for the hormonal implant to stop her laying so was going to ask then if there is anything I can do. I am willing to try everything as she seems so well in her self but shes missing the other hens and when I do supervised visits eith the others, they see the dripping and try and peck her vent. I just dont know what this means long term for her.

Do you know why they leak urates after a prolapse?

Attachments

• IMG-20220808-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20220808-WA0009.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 24
Glad you will be seeing the vet again this week.

The large intestine and the oviduct both meat at the cloaca (vent). So if there's been damage to the tissue, there's a good possibility of leakage. As she heals up more, then the leaking may stop.
This could turn into cloacatis so in the meantime, do what you can to keep her washed up and apply a barrier cream to help protect the skin from the urates/discharge, so it doesn't get too irritated.
Your vet likely has a cream or ointment recommendation, so see what they say.

Hope the implants are a success and she recovers just fine.

1660014458052.png

Back
Top Bottom