Vent Gleet? Other hens bullying

Lynyrd66

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 20, 2013
This is Cinnamon. She was a rescue hen and I think she is a little over 2 years old. I have had her for a little over a year. . She is mostly Buff Orpington. and when she was feeling good she was around 5 lbs.
Back in about May, she had lice and mites.Which lead to a scabby, poopy bottom and missing a lot of feathers she even lost sight in her right eye.. I treated her for the lice and the mites. I was crop feeding her for a while because her weight dropped to about 3 lbs. This is stressful for both of us and my family does not want to help me do it any longer.
Lice and mites appear to be gone.
Still has a scabby poopy bottom. and it appears a prolapsed vent. Is this because her vent gets closed up from the scabbing and she struggles to poop? I have been giving her a bath about 3 times per week since about May or June. I treated her for worms back in May. I gave her an oral antibiotic for 10 days (started with a t) for the Vent Gleet because it was not getting better. I have tried treating her bottom with coconut oil, neosporin, cow salve, athletes foot medication, and now currently hemeroid medication ---anything I see on here I have tried.
It is almost November and I have 2 problems.
1)She is somewhat better, but not better. She maintains a steady weight of about 3.4 lbs, still very skinny. Her feathers are coming back in, but her bottom still scabs up and she still gets poopy feathers. Her vent appears to be protruding--most likely because of her struggling at times to poop.
2)She gets bullied by 2 of my stronger hens when I put her in with the others (every day I have been carrying her out in a pet carrier and putting her next to the chicken run to keep her in with the others. Even when I let them all out to free run the 2 bullies hunt her down and tackle her.

She is very sweet. Is there something else I can try to heal her vent? Is there something else I can do to get her to gain weight? Will the others stop bullying her once she is healed and stronger? Am I kidding myself and will she just end up dying anyway because her vent is bad? I am attaching some pics

I thought vent gleet was white. If it is vent gleet then it is a yeast infection (the same sort that women get) and an OTC yeast infection paste should help.

Maybe others have input but that doesn't look like regular vent gleet to me.

It could be yeast or bacteria. Would be best to have a vet swab it. Okay... I don't want to scare you, but her left eye doesn't look normal. Can you post a picture of her right eye?

-Kathy

This is Cinnamon. She was a rescue hen and I think she is a little over 2 years old. I have had her for a little over a year. . She is mostly Buff Orpington. and when she was feeling good she was around 5 lbs. Back in about May, she had lice and mites.Which lead to a scabby, poopy bottom and missing a lot of feathers she even lost sight in her right eye.. I treated her for the lice and the mites. I was crop feeding her for a while because her weight dropped to about 3 lbs. This is stressful for both of us and my family does not want to help me do it any longer. Lice and mites appear to be gone. Still has a scabby poopy bottom. and it appears a prolapsed vent. Is this because her vent gets closed up from the scabbing and she struggles to poop? I have been giving her a bath about 3 times per week since about May or June. I treated her for worms back in May. I gave her an oral antibiotic for 10 days (started with a t) for the Vent Gleet because it was not getting better. I have tried treating her bottom with coconut oil, neosporin, cow salve, athletes foot medication, and now currently hemeroid medication ---anything I see on here I have tried. It is almost November and I have 2 problems. 1)She is somewhat better, but not better. She maintains a steady weight of about 3.4 lbs, still very skinny. Her feathers are coming back in, but her bottom still scabs up and she still gets poopy feathers. Her vent appears to be protruding--most likely because of her struggling at times to poop. 2)She gets bullied by 2 of my stronger hens when I put her in with the others (every day I have been carrying her out in a pet carrier and putting her next to the chicken run to keep her in with the others. Even when I let them all out to free run the 2 bullies hunt her down and tackle her. She is very sweet. Is there something else I can try to heal her vent? Is there something else I can do to get her to gain weight? Will the others stop bullying her once she is healed and stronger? Am I kidding myself and will she just end up dying anyway because her vent is bad? I am attaching some pics
I don't think the other birds will leave her alone...they go after other chickens that are sick or injured...it's just the way they are...heartless as it seems...don't know what else can be done for her vent..if it is a prolapse, then every time she lays an egg it's likely to happen again...and again...and again...I feel so sorry for the both of you...I wish I could be more helpful..

What do you think it is? My biggest concerns right now is the vent. Looking at the protrusion in the 2nd picture I don't know that she will ever be well.

The bird in the link I posted had Marek's and was loaded with tumors when he died. I'm not saying that you hen has Marek's, but it is a possibility. If her gleet is from yeast I think you will need to treat her with ketoconazole or fluconazole since the yeast could be in all of her intestines. Fluconazole and ketoconazole will reach all the yeast in her body, creams will not. If it's bacterial she would need an antibiotic.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom