Venturing outside for the first time

Shepshill

Songster
Feb 19, 2018
New Jersey
E8B07FBE-2209-4CA5-83CF-FD79FC57CCE8.jpeg I know some of you raise chicks with access to the outside from very early on, but for those of you whose chicks are reared indoors, how do you introduce them to the outside world? I seem to remember reading that they should be confined to their coop for a few days so that they learn to come in at dusk each night. My girls seem to want to stay inside the coop, even when their coop door is open. Suggestions?

Last edited:
I'm having this same problem. Day 3 in the coop. I've left the door wide open all day, but they are not leaving the coop. Managed to coax them out with treats and then they enjoyed the grass but won't go in and out by themselves.

I think they're afraid of the ramp.

I'm having this same problem. Day 3 in the coop. I've left the door wide open all day, but they are not leaving the coop. Managed to coax them out with treats and then they enjoyed the grass but won't go in and out by themselves.

I think they're afraid of the ramp.

Mine went in on their own after an hour or two. Today they’ve not ventured out, despite the fact that they appeared to enjoy scratching and digging and exploring very close to the coop yesterday. It is kind of blustery today, though.

Back
Top Bottom