Vermont

Pics
Quote:
Yes, I've planted everything
barnie.gif
All of my peppers and tomatoes are out.....

Yes, 3 weeks old for all 6 of my girls. The Plymouth Rock Barred chicks are all about the same size and kind of laid back, the 3 golden comets are all different and more hyper. We have one that had pasty butt and was smaller then the rest when we got her, it took a good 10 days for her to get over that so she is off to a slow start and is smaller then the rest, I would say by about half the size of the largest bird, the next one up is about the size of my plymouth rock barred chicks and I have one that is a giant compared to all the others, other then size they are all the same in appearance except the middle one has more white feathers on the wings. I am not an expert at all but I think it is still too soon to tell the sex. (here's a pun for you) "I could be all wet about that though" HA HA HA...

Quote:

I'm pretty sure Golden Comets are sex-linked. The pullets are buff/red at hatch where as the males are white/silver. I think females have more prominent chipmunk striping down their backs as well. I'll bet you have pullets!

That's what I'm hoping but others have mentioned that if they're not first generation, these colors might not apply. And I can't get information on whether they're first generation. The one that is lighter is definitely not white/silver, the head is just a touch lighter yellow. All of them have the chipmunk striping. I like that description; I didn't know how to describe the stripes!

cool.png
No freeze or frost here in Morrisville least night, 38 was the lowest temperature I recorded for the night. I have a view of Mt. Mansfield from the front of my house, there was new snow on the ski trails late yesterday afternoon but none now at 9:30 AM Monday.
I spent the day yesterday preparing my coop for the six chicks. It hadn't been cleaned for a while and the previous owner had layers and meat birds in the coop so it was sectioned off, I removed the partition, cleaned out all the old bedding and poop, swept and scraped everytihng then sprayed it down with a mild bleach solution, let it sit for a while then went back with the hose and rinsed everything. I have to move the nesting boxes, they are right under a window and it limits how high I can put a cover on them, I think the current top is too close, I have untill late September to deal with that though.
Today is a great ay for drying the coop out, dry crisp air with an occasional breeze, the girls may get in there sooner then I thought.
I'll post pictures when I have it all set up before I put the chicks in.

Anyone interested in approx 8 week old golden sebright roo? I have 3 golden sebrights, 2 of which are definitely roos (I've watched them both crow), the 3rd is looking like it has a more roo-ish comb, but I have yet to witness it crow... $5 each.

I also have 5 RIR hens, age unknown (I'm guessing 2 or 3 years old?). I get 2-4 eggs per day from these girls. $7 each or take all 5 for $30.

I decided to list here first before posting to the chicks/chickens for sale section, hoping that someone nearby would be interested? I am in Orange County, about 20 mins east of Chelsea or 15 mins from exit 14 on I-91.

I'll pass on your offer thanks, my 6 are 7 weeks old and I am pretty sure one of the Plymouth Rock Barred is a Roo, judging by the comb and size,not to mention teh aggressiveness. I could be wrong though. I hope the other 5 will be hens,, I guess one roo in the group isn't bad but I was hoping for more eggs. If he / it gets out of line I may be posting a simmilar offer here.

Back
Top Bottom