Vermont

Pics
So which type are you Russo?
wink.png

Lucky you to find a new house with a coop! I would say that 9 birds would be the max for a 36 sq ft coop (using the 4 sq ft/bird rule) provided they have a roomy run and aren't often confined for long periods of time. I would sweep/vacuum the coop really well and then use a mild bleach solution or Oxine to clean the coop. You could use the search function to look for more info as I've never had to prepare a used coop for a new flock. You can never be too careful!

oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

It's great there are so many Vermonters. What a beautiful day it was, but definitely muggy.

My chicks are "due" on May 14th. I'm getting ready with a large bin, shavings, a heat lamp, waterer, etc.

Yeah, this thread is so good at drawing us out of the woodwork! We Vermonters sort of get "lost in the shuffle" on the bigger "much ado about New England" thread.

I couldn't believe how hot it got today...not to mention wet - funny time to have blankets marinating on the clothesline!
hmm.png

Hi One Acre Wonder Farm, The closest I can come to saying I am a Vermonter is that I am form New England, born in Weymouth Mass. We came to Vermont 32 years ago on our honeymoon and fell in love with the area, business took us to Florida for many years but 3 years ago, 2006, we moved here permanently. We were lucky to find this little slice of heaven we are at now, post and beam log home, 20 years old on 2 1/2 acres, an unbeleivable view of the mansfield range and a trout pond. We are surrounded by farm area AHHHHHHHHHHH! In my soul I am a Vermonter. Thanks for the advice on cleaning the poop out of the coop for my peeps.

Russo's Roost :

There are 2 types of people, Vermonters and people who want to be a Vermonter. I am in Morrisville, just outside of Stowe. I am a novice chickener and recently bought a house with a coop. My peeps arrived Thursday, I will eventualy have to clean the poop from the coop for the peeps. It has been vacant all winter. What do I need to do, the coop is about 6' by 6' with a shed roof.
Do I have to just sweep out last years shavings or do I need to disinfect with bleach or sometihng. I am trying to keep my birds as organic and natural as possible. I have 6 this year, may go to 9 if I can find 3 Rhode Island Reds but I am thinking of about 20 girls next year, do you think that's too many for that size coop. Appreciate any advice.

Ha, ha. I suppose I'm a wanna be Vermonter. I live just across the border in NY, hubby works in Bennington. Truth be told, we live on this side of the state line because it's cheaper
wink.png

But I'm close enough to say "HI!" in the Vermonter thread because I'm always over in that state spending my $$ on the chicks. LOL.​

Congratulations, mine are 1 week old today, 5 are doing well but the one that started with pasty butt is smaller then the rest, Sue named her "Tinkerbell". Sue also didn't want chickens, she melted when we got them;)
lol.png
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom