Vermont

Pics
Russo's Roost :

Congratulations, mine are 1 week old today, 5 are doing well but the one that started with pasty butt is smaller then the rest, Sue named her "Tinkerbell". Sue also didn't want chickens, she melted when we got them;)
lol.png
tongue.png

My daughter named our smallest chicken Tinkerbell also! Chickies are so cute when they're tiny and they grow so fast it is amazing! It took nearly 10 months but now she's the same size as the other girls.

I'm curious... what breeds do others here have?​

Quote:
I have 3 golden comet chicks that are 4 weeks old. They're supposed to be great layers!

Pasty butt is when poop sticks to the chick's butt. I checked my chicks daily for a weekish and I occasionally had to clean them with a moistened warm paper towel. If pasty butt isn't attended to a chick can die. I'm sure there is loads more info on here, just use the search feature.

Enjoy your chicks!

Quote:
My daughter named our smallest chicken Tinkerbell also! Chickies are so cute when they're tiny and they grow so fast it is amazing! It took nearly 10 months but now she's the same size as the other girls.

I'm curious... what breeds do others here have?

Our littlest is named "Nugget", of course!

We have Buff Orps, Bantam Cochins, 1 OEGB, and 4 Silkies. And more in the incubator!

HI All,
I haven't posted in a while. been real busy with two new goose babies. They are my first incubation and I got 2 out of 4 - both girls, Pilgrim Geese. They are sweethearts. Three weeks old today.

I have 26 chicks and 5 laying hens. The hens are from Spring '08 - 3 big Barred Rocks and 2 Red Sex Links, all good girls.

The '09 chicks are a mix of Speckled Sussex (love em), Partridge Rocks and Silver Laced Wyandottes( all skittish and don't like to be handled, but good looking chickens), Buff Orpingtons (like em), Blue Laced Red Wyandottes (voted prettiest -love em) and Black Australorps (sweet and calm - Love em!)
I ordered a straight run so I'm still finding out which are the roos. A bunch of those will end up on the dinner table, a sad fact of life.
sad.png

This morning I drove by the location of tomorrows chicken

swap at Wellwood Orchards in Springfield and..

people are setting up ALREADY~!!

This is a wicked BIG event.

Do not miss it~!

If you are coming to buy birds, bring Boxes~!

Get there early if you want a decent parking space.

the action starts at 10 am~!

Looks like a food wagon was setting up, so there will be food on the premises.

bring appropriate clothes for rain, heat, snow etc.. Mother Nature has been confused lately up here.

We didn't get a frost last night but it looks like it will be colder tonight. Hopefully this is the last chilly night for a long while!! My chickens would enjoy some milder weather
cool.png

Many thanks to the folks at the Vermont Bird Fanciers for a wonderful event. I am impressed at what you are doing for young people, with regard to education and activities.

It was the day before our new chicks arrived, we had to hold off from buying any new pets
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom