Vermont

Pics
Greetings from St Albans. Hopefully this cold spell will be over soon. Wondering if any Vermonters have Russian Orloff or RC Rhode Island White? I have 13 RO chicks about 2 weeks old. Not sure of their sex yet but only plan on keeping 1 roo. Let me know what you have & might be able to work something out. Also have a few SC RIW. Sorry to hear about all the predators going around.

Saw my fox yesterday. I interrupted him going into the coop! He is a very leggy red fox. Never seen one who stood so tall!

This weekend is fence weekend. Time to protect those Marans breeders.

My blue rooster who was attacked by the fox is much better and back out with the flock. But now he is coming to the front door of our house each night instead of going into the coop. He must think it would be safer inside with us.... silly boy, I bet he will like the new fence.

Question for Rutland area folks with new chicks-- anyone interested in getting their chicks vaccinated for Mareks? My vet will order a vial of the vaccine but I have to pay for whole thing if I don't find anyone else that wants it. Currently at $20 per chick, would love to get the cost down to around $5 per chick plus my office visit. (I only have 5 chicks)

Let me know if you are interested and I can let you know the details!

Keara - from recent posts I see you might have BC or Blu Copper Marans hatching eggs for sale? Do you still have some or better yet chicks to sell? I am located in the Vergennes area. I am really interested in Wheatens but unless I get hatching eggs have not been able to find them. I am getting ready to start another incubator of Wheaten Marans and Lavender Ameraucanas this week. The first set of shipped eggs did not go so well - I have 3 Wheaten Roos - 5 wks old and 1 blk Amer and 1 Splash amer - <1 wk old Sex?? Thanks

Hi I am new to the forum and live in Brattleboro, soon to be in Townsend. Just bought a home and some acreage there. Are there any local poultry swap/ sales in the area? We are looking at starting next spring with chickens, ducks, geese and guineas.

Just popping in to say hi! I've got ducks and guineas with a plan to get quail soon. I'm allergic to chicken eggs so I've never had them. If you know of anyone local with Coturnix quail I'd love to talk to them!

Last edited:
Hi Vermonters- while I technically live in southern NH (just over the river from Brattleboro), I am seeking a chicken lover with carpentry skills to help me winterize my run. We have an approximately 15x20 chicken run area that bumps up against our garage. It has a hardware cloth roof over it, and we recently put up a tarp over the whole structure hoping that would provide some winter protection. However, after heavy rains this weekend, it's obvious just how weak the roof is; the water pooled up in the tarp and the whole thing is now sagging precariously. I think I was being overly optimistic that it would make it through the winter. I'm hoping to have someone come out and rebuild the roof properly, which I think probably means putting up a simple peaked roof, and perhaps a simple gutter/downspout along the garage. The primary purpose of the roof is predator protection, but it would also be nice to keep it ventilated for the summer yet have some kind of tarp/plastic that we could keep on it in the winter for weather protection.

If you know an insured carpenter/handyman who would be interested in a small project with a quick turn-around, please feel free to PM me.

Back
Top Bottom