Vermont

Hey everybody! I just moved to Barre, Vermont about a month ago (right before the flooding). My family just bought a farm that has 400 acres, so lots of room for my chickens! I joined the Vermont Chicken and Fowl Enthusiasts, which is where I got some hatching eggs to add to my new flock. I'm hoping to get some more birds, but I might have to wait till next year. It's going to start getting cooler soon. When does it normally start getting colder?

Now is usually when you will notice the nights and days start getting colder. We used to see frosts up north the first week of September without fail, but that has changed in the past 10 years.

September will have colder nights, you'll see a lot of 40s, maybe some 30s or even 20s. You may also see 80s during the day, but it is less likely or frequent. October can be hit or miss, but you will definitely see a frost if you haven't already. November may have a couple of warm days, but for a couple of years it snowed a foot in November and we didn't see the ground till May.

Usually, summers are not this cold and rainy (these days a least), but it seems like every seventh or so year we get a summer that doesn't quite feel like one, like we did this year. Barre is a little warmer of a microclimate, but that only means you'll be a couple of degrees warmer than some of the communities around you.

Welcome to Vermont. I came 13 years ago and never looked back. 😄

Now is usually when you will notice the nights and days start getting colder. We used to see frosts up north the first week of September without fail, but that has changed in the past 10 years.

September will have colder nights, you'll see a lot of 40s, maybe some 30s or even 20s. You may also see 80s during the day, but it is less likely or frequent. October can be hit or miss, but you will definitely see a frost if you haven't already. November may have a couple of warm days, but for a couple of years it snowed a foot in November and we didn't see the ground till May.

Usually, summers are not this cold and rainy (these days a least), but it seems like every seventh or so year we get a summer that doesn't quite feel like one, like we did this year. Barre is a little warmer of a microclimate, but that only means you'll be a couple of degrees warmer than some of the communities around you.

Welcome to Vermont. I came 13 years ago and never looked back. 😄
Thank you so much 😊! My family has wanted to move to Vermont for a couple of years, and we finally just did! Just from being there for that month we decided we don’t ever want to move again! I love it so much!

That's cool. I have a friend outside Carlisle. It seems like some of the communities with a lot of farming in PA are pretty similar to here. Both have that Appalachian feel to them. But they can grown peach trees more successfully. 😄

That's cool. I have a friend outside Carlisle. It seems like some of the communities with a lot of farming in PA are pretty similar to here. Both have that Appalachian feel to them. But they can grown peach trees more successfully. 😄
Yeah, thankfully we moved to an area that has more farms and less apartments and buildings. We are not really city folk 😅.

Yeah, thankfully we moved to an area that has more farms and less apartments and buildings. We are not really city folk 😅.
Me too. I went to college in Boston. I wanted to understand what it was like. I was out of there as fast as I could as soon as school was done. The people in my neighborhood were great, but too much noise and pollution for me.

Back
Top Bottom