Versions of "chick chairs" PLEASE!

I have the same question...

@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive
I think it depends on the reason for the sling. If the legs are not working or they are having balance issues, they should touch the floor. Some chickens are in slings to rest the legs with a sprain or broken bone, and those should be off the floor. Some chickens will try to kill themselves to get out of the slings, so always be careful. Those chickens may be better off without the sling. Also remeber to take them out of the sling often to sleep or to stretch and move around.

I think it depends on the reason for the sling. If the legs are not working or they are having balance issues, they should touch the floor. Some chickens are in slings to rest the legs with a sprain or broken bone, and those should be off the floor. Some chickens will try to kill themselves to get out of the slings, so always be careful. Those chickens may be better off without the sling. Also remeber to take them out of the sling often to sleep or to stretch and move around.
Okay. So if I needed to get my chick used to standing on one foot, I wouldn't be hurting her by putting her in a chair with her foot on the ground?

I (and two vets) suspect that my Light Brahma, Goose, has Marek's. About three months ago, she started limping, and now she is unable to stand. She still moves one leg, but I think she may have hurt it while compensating for the unusable leg, so we made her this sling. We included a removable roosting bar for her to grab on to since she always loved to perch on her roosts, and my husband 3D printed her some cup holders for her food. Goose is about a year old.

View attachment 2986447

If we can ever help any of you by making and sending you one of these to help your chicken, we'd love to. We are also working on designing a similar structure that is smaller and for chicks that can quickly be 3D printed and shipped out to help those of you dealing with baby chicks with splay legs and such. We would do it for free or cost. Not looking to make money. Just looking to help all of the chickies. Feel free to send me a message if any of that sounds like it could help out your chooks. 💓
Hi your stand looks great. Can you tell me what you used for the sling?

I (and two vets) suspect that my Light Brahma, Goose, has Marek's. About three months ago, she started limping, and now she is unable to stand. She still moves one leg, but I think she may have hurt it while compensating for the unusable leg, so we made her this sling. We included a removable roosting bar for her to grab on to since she always loved to perch on her roosts, and my husband 3D printed her some cup holders for her food. Goose is about a year old.

View attachment 2986447

If we can ever help any of you by making and sending you one of these to help your chicken, we'd love to. We are also working on designing a similar structure that is smaller and for chicks that can quickly be 3D printed and shipped out to help those of you dealing with baby chicks with splay legs and such. We would do it for free or cost. Not looking to make money. Just looking to help all of the chickies. Feel free to send me a message if any of that sounds like it could help out your chooks. 💓
Do you have other photos? I’d love to be able to build something similar for my Cochin, Lilo. She got botulism followed by an extreme case of wry neck that has rendered her blind.

I was just wondering if the blindness, any lameness, and wry neck were due to possible Mareks. The eyes (color of the iris and irregular pupil) may tell.
That’s where our thoughts went first as well but fortunately she is not positive for Mareks after testing her. We think that the severe case of wry caused so much swelling in her brain that it damaged the optic nerve. Her eyes look very normal but just do not have pupillary response. I’m holding out a little bit of hope that she may regain her eyesight once we finally get her past this horrible case of wry neck. Again, I thank and appreciate you ❤️

Back
Top Bottom