Very weird egg, any ideas on causes?

cora2222

Hatching
Feb 29, 2016
Wisconsin
Just found this egg tonight, was still warm at 6:30 pm when I was closing the coop up for the night. That's odd in itself but its got a partial shell/very thin shell and that sort of "unfinished" end. She is young, started laying in October, but she's been pretty consistently laying every other day ever since. Any ideas? Should I be concerned? Increase available calcium sources? Any help would be great! Thanks!

Welcome to BYC. It looks like a blip in her laying apparatus, a shell-less or soft shell egg with a membrane attached. Provide some extra calcium, such as crushed egg shells or crushed oyster shell. Hopefully it is just a one time thing.

Welcome to BYC. It looks like a blip in her laying apparatus, a shell-less or soft shell egg with a membrane attached. Provide some extra calcium, such as crushed egg shells or crushed oyster shell. Hopefully it is just a one time thing.
I agree. My chickens have laid many eggs without or with little shells. When this happens I know to put some oyster or crushed egg shells on with their food.(you probably want to crush the egg shells into small pieces so the chickens don't recognize the egg and start pecking their own!)

Back
Top Bottom