Vet says gapeworm, recommends unavailable treatment; options?

Here goes,
@casportpony

Video address:

And here's a photo:

Last edited:
When you took her to the vet, did the vet check her poop for bacteria? On your invoice there would be a charge that might say "gram stain"

-Kathy

She didn't. She only did a throat culture for bacteria (negative), and said if she wasn't better by tomorrow she'd up the Panacur and maybe do a fecal. I'm a total newbie at all of this, but I'm honestly starting to doubt she's going to make it to tomorrow.

She didn't. She only did a throat culture for bacteria (negative), and said if she wasn't better by tomorrow she'd up the Panacur and maybe do a fecal. I'm a total newbie at all of this, but I'm honestly starting to doubt she's going to make it to tomorrow.
what is she doing now that has you so worried again please

@casportpony I was truly dreading opening the laundry room door this morning but check out this photo! She's breathing with her beak open only occasionally now, her wings are not drooping, she whined at me for treats, and she's preening herself! :D The vet said she'd be off today but she left instructions for the staff to dispense the higher dose of Panacur if I call. I feel like maybe that larger dose I gave her yesterday may have done the trick. I'm planning to call and ask for the stronger dose; what do you think? Thanks so much!

@casportpony I was truly dreading opening the laundry room door this morning but check out this photo! She's breathing with her beak open only occasionally now, her wings are not drooping, she whined at me for treats, and she's preening herself! :D The vet said she'd be off today but she left instructions for the staff to dispense the higher dose of Panacur if I call. I feel like maybe that larger dose I gave her yesterday may have done the trick. I'm planning to call and ask for the stronger dose; what do you think? Thanks so much!

If you want to give the higher dose, that's fine. Do you have a Tractor Supply near you? If so, you can get a 125 ml bottle of Safeguard for about $25. Safeguard and Panacur are the same.

Is she drinking enough water?

So I meant to ask, are you in the SF Bay Area? I ask because your experience with this vet sounds a lot like one I had with one in Cupertinio, CA.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom