Vet suggestion for non-invasive bumblefoot cure

Well, we are using fish medicine on them and I know they're not a fish. I have my neo ordered. Will let everyone know. I took my chicken to the vet to cut the bumble out, but he said the bird would have to be put to sleep and he would use a lasar on her and stich afterwards. $400.00. Needless
to say I brought her home.

I have used fish medicine in chickens as well; Fishzole and Fishflex to be exact. Since you have ordered the Tricide Neo and not used it yet, I suggest you follow the directions in the link I provided above in post #282. I have used Tricide Neo. Good luck.

BTW: Too bad we dont live closer. I'd do the bumblefoot surgery for you.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I wrapped her in a scarf and changed her bandages again yesterday. The worse foot had a hole in it the medicine the vet gave me or the soaking opened up. I packed it with the Nitrofurazone again. I wish we were closer also. When the Neo gets here at least her feet will be soft and ready for the soaking in TricideNeo. It was hard to do it without a helper, but I tried. <3

Have you used a biopsy punch? I think I may be able to do this easier by myself if I had one. I picked at it yesterday with a needle, but it was hard as a rock even after all the soaking and Meds.

I have dealt with bumblefoot a LOT. Lower and smoother perches and less access to gravel driveways help. Soaking in epsom salts helps and using bactine with polysporin on gauze wrapped with vet wrap helps. Ive done surgery and don't really recommend it. I have found that a well covered foot with vet wrap and some antibacterial on gauze...left on for 2 weeks...will cause the skin to become so baby soft that you can peel back the scab and pop out the kernal and junk behind it with just a fingernail. Then repack with bactine and polysporin covered with vet wrap changing every 4 days. Works like a charm!

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I do not care to do surgery again, hopefully the problem doesn't come back. Writing this down for future reference just in case. I take it this item can be bought at a place like Petco or something?

Thank you so much! I just found bumblefoot on my EE roo, Arlo. I've seen it mentioned in posts on the BYC FB page and knew that it meant having to do surgery. I watched several videos and although I am pretty strong through a lot, I got a bit queasy and light headed just watching. I am going to try soaking in the Tricide-Neo powder solution as you suggest. Once again....thank you!

Two of my ladies have bumblefoot - one foot on each is has a large spot, the other foot a small. I got queasy watching the video of the surgery, and I'm generally not a wuss. So, we're trying the tricide-neo. Let me tell you, the girls do NOT enjoy being held steady in cool water for 10 minutes. After three days of that, we decided to try something different tonight - we bandaged them up with a soaked pad of T-N and put them to roost.

I bought the Birdy Booties, but trying to get those long toes into the little boots is nuts. Much easier to just wrap them in stretchy wrap, and those last throughout the day.

Mine don't like staying in the foot soak until I discovered a trick. It used to always spill if they tried to fly out. I now put the fluid in a plastic boot box or about a 13x9 pan sized plastic container. That container is placed in a bigger plastic tote. Mine tend not to fuss when inside the taller walled tub. (Especially if less than an inch of water.) If anything spills - no worries b/c everything's already contained.

Of course your idea of soaking a pad also sounds great. I never heard of birdy booties, but they do sound annoying. LOL

Good luck with the bumblefoot. I've never had a case with swollen, deformed feet, but I do sometimes see a black spot - like a sore or scab. (Not sure if its actually bumblefoot.) I now like to give Epsom salt soaks when I see them. If it's a hot day, the hens seem to like a nice cool soak. Afterward, I apply some triple antibiotic ointment.

Does this look like bumblefoot?

The top of the foot looks perfectly normal and there's no swelling. She doesn't limp at all. She's not favoring that foot; however, for the past two days or so she's been lifting that foot and using her beak to "check" on it (maybe once or twice a day in the past two days)
Today when she was running towards me she sort of galloped over, which is what led me to inspect her foot. She walks perfectly fine, though, and she only did that once today. But I have another hen that did the galloping-running thing about 2 weeks ago but walked fine. In the evening hours that hen reverted back to her old running style (thankfully). From my pov, it just looks like the old skin at the foot pad is flaking away. I didn't squeeze it though.

Back
Top Bottom