Vet suggestion for non-invasive bumblefoot cure

Without the foot being washed it is kind of hard to tell for sure. But it appears as if it could be Bumblefoot. If you wash her foot and see a round area on the pad, almost like a scab, then it is likely Bumblefoot. You can see if the scab will loosen around the edges. If it is sealed off then just squeezing may not show you anything. If it is Bumblefoot it will only get worse, so you will need to treat it.

Without the foot being washed it is kind of hard to tell for sure. But it appears as if it could be Bumblefoot. If you wash her foot and see a round area on the pad, almost like a scab, then it is likely Bumblefoot. You can see if the scab will loosen around the edges. If it is sealed off then just squeezing may not show you anything. If it is Bumblefoot it will only get worse, so you will need to treat it.
I soaked her for about 2-5 minutes because she freaked out when her feet touched the water. I don't think it's bumblefoot now, but should I be concerned about this?
also, WHAT IS THIS???
duc.gif

What can I do to make her like getting soaked and tolerate getting bandaged? Should I try wrapping a towel around her head? If so, should the head be covered?

If mild case (ie large black area but not deformed & swollen), I've had luck with this:

1. Quick clean to get chunks of excess mud off

2. Soak in Epsom salt for 5-10 min (My birds don't seem to mind if I put the bath in a plastic boot box inside a storage tub. There's only a small amount of water & the larger box contains possible spills/splashes & reduces the jumping out. I have only 1 bird that wants to jump out at every opportunity, so that one I must hold in place.)

3. Paint with decoloized iodine & let dry for a min. This stuff is amazing & I saw a huge difference when I started adding this step.

4. Apply drawing salve ( active ingredient ichthamol) &/or triple antibiotic ointment ....& sometimes Prep H (hernia cream if there's swelling) to a gauze pad

5. Bandage pad with ointments to the area with thin strips of Vet Wrap

6. Unbandage in about 4-6 days. Resoak for just a few min & simply peel off the black scab. Sometimes it falls off in the soak. You should see the edges really peeling away. If not, don't pick at it. Just repeat steps 2-5. Most of the time, the skin underneath the scab is a pretty pink. If I ever see anything that may look like a popped blister, then I just rebandage for 1-2 days with some antibiotic ointment so it stays clean.

Note: I have used tricide neo in the past. It works but I had problems remembering to soak & rebandage daily - not to mention the cost. What I am using now is a combo of things other people have suggested. It seems to work for me & has the added benefit of being things that I have on hand or can pick up at any drug store.

Great alternative! Curious, since you said you can't get it on you, is it ok to eat the eggs after since I'm sure it soaks into the skin.
If this is in response to mine, I don't worry about eating the eggs or the topical ointments getting on my hands. (I wash up after handling chickens.)

If you're talking about the goey puss inside a swollen Bumblefoot, then yes, try to avoid that. I read that's a staph infection & could spread to humans. That's why I treat at the 1st sign - long before swelling develops. If there is a bad case with a lot of swelling, then the antibiotic soak may be needed. Don't know about eggs, but most medications leave the system between 7-14 days.

Thanks for responding. What I was trying to say is if the Tricide Neo solution soaks into the chickens' foot does it get into their system and affect the eggs? Since it said don't get it on you on the directions, I wonder how potent it may be.

Thanks for responding. What I was trying to say is if the Tricide Neo solution soaks into the chickens' foot does it get into their system and affect the eggs? Since it said don't get it on you on the directions, I wonder how potent it may be.

What are the ingredients?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom