Vet suggestion for non-invasive bumblefoot cure

My sebbie goose had bumblefoot, she was limping bad one day and it was swollen and very hot. I didn't want to wait for something to be shipped to me so I went to my local Earl May and picked up some Melafix. I treated her with dips once a day for 3days keeping her foot clean & tried to keep it dry, with a sock on it held up by zip ties. After the 3rd day of dips, I let her back out with the flock and kept an eye on her and she is looking good!!

Did you take a pic of that? I would love to see the feet with socks and zip ties.
lau.gif

Goats Head weed (Tribulus terrestris) has a long history of use in folk medicine. Traditionally, it has been used for a variety of reproductive conditions, such as infertility and impotence, as well as for muscle strength and general health. Hope all gos well with the bumblefoot cures. Have not had a case yet, but do have a few trees (Holly and Sweet gum) which can be hard on there feet.

I don't have goat's head weed but I have thorns everywhere in the acreage where they run (although not as bad as previous years). They ar the sort that are canes coming up out of the ground and will grow up into the trees if you let them. Slowly thinning them out. But the girls have been stuck in the feet (you can se them jump). And the ground bacteria can and has lead to a couple of cases,

I just ordered Tricide-Neo as well. I found the 1 gallon on Ebay for 29.95 shipped-- a little more, but I had money in my Paypal account that I wanted to use. I want to knock this out totally and make sure of it being that, like I said before, I do not want to my antibiotic resistant strains of staph by letting things go on longer. I don't like the idea of that being spread all over my yard.

The Grapefruit Extract I got, I noticed a little later is not grapefruit seed, but I still think we made progress with alternating applications of that and the ichthammol. I'll get some pictures tomorrow to share.

So am I to gather that bumblefoot is "healed" when the scab goes away, it loses most of the inflammation and the heat is all gone? That means I have one foot healed, but I will continue treatment anyway.

My sebbie goose had bumblefoot, she was limping bad one day and it was swollen and very hot. I didn't want to wait for something to be shipped to me so I went to my local Earl May and picked up some Melafix. I treated her with dips once a day for 3days keeping her foot clean & tried to keep it dry, with a sock on it held up by zip ties. After the 3rd day of dips, I let her back out with the flock and kept an eye on her and she is looking good!!

This was something I pondered, actually, as I use Melafix to treat my acne with more success than anything else. But again, being that these guys have had two types of antibiotics, I want to make sure I get something that will get rid of antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Between all of us, we will have some serious study results. I'll try to remember to take lots of pictures so we can see progress as well.

I'm going to ask Nettie to make my chickens some shoes, as well.

Fattie, I saw your post talking about how hard you worked:
Yes, I gave them antibiotics (first tried Penicillin, then Baytril, the Cephalexin), and I applied antibiotic ointments to their feet, did a little surgery on the worst ones (to remove dead tissue), I gave them vitamins (A, B12, E), tried Tea Tree Oil on their feet, the 2 meds. (topical) that seemed most effective were StaphAseptic gel and a solution of DMSO/Baytril/Metacam. I worked very hard for 6 weeks, treating them twice a day. Keeping the poo hosed out helped too. wink

That sounds very familiar, so I'll definitely do the preparation H, as well.​

Last edited:
No improvement with the Oregano, discontinued. Going to Tricide-Neo with that bird.

Continued improvement with the GSE (grapefruit seed extract). Only applying it once a day, full strength. No bandages/vet wrap.

Doing some research in looking for the now non-existent threads of bumble foot surgery with pics, I saw that several had also treated some birds with tea tree oil with a measure of success.

Last edited:
Used the Tricide-Neo for one week. Did not have distilled water as the instructions said so I used RO filtered water hoping for the best. Got virtually nothing in results. The Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) is moving along fine. Buying some distilled water today to use the Tricide-Neo again.

Tricide instructions say use of non-distilled water can neutralize the product. I believe that is completely true.

Last edited:
Any progress? I have a young hen that lost a toe. It healed well at first but now there's an infection. I put her on Amoxicillin and that has helped some but I am waiting for my tricde-neo to get here.

Just starting back up again. Had an accident at home that changed everyones' lives for a week or so.

I would not hesitate to apply oregano to the infected area. I use only North American herb and Spice Oregano products. More expensive but over the years, I have had it work where other oregano products and medicines fail. The formulations are simply superior in my experience.

Last edited:
Quote:
I fought bumblefoot all last summer and fall.
barnie.gif
he.gif
It finally went away this winter when it got really cold and snowy.
Since staph loves heat and moisture, I'm assuming it was the cold and snow that finally took care of it.

Jen

Back
Top Bottom