Vet suggestion for non-invasive bumblefoot cure

I have four new orpingtons that I just bought that have bumblefoot in both feet, some worse then others. I tried to cut the worse one out without much success. So I ordered the tricide-Neo, but while waiting for it to arrive I decided to do some epson salt soaking. I got out a baby pool (I had for some foster puppies) filled it with a couple inches of water added the epson salt stirred it around and then let it sit in the sun for a while to warm up. I put an ex-pen around it so they couldn't get out and some netting over it in case there was a flyer. Once it was warm I put all four chickens in, they were a bit startled but none freaked out. I let them soak for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, they just walk around. I did put some food that they could peck at on the side. They really didn't mind it. The weather has been very very nice. When I got them out I rubbed some hemroid cream on their feet. I've done this a few days in a row so I'm hoping that everything is softened up by time the meds get here.

15530_001.jpg

15530_002.jpg

Are there any updates from anyone using Tricide-Neo? I've been following this thread, as I too am dealing with bumblefoot in one of my hens and hesitate to do surgery unless absolutely necessary. You all have given me hope that surgery won't be necessary. I have been unable to find a vet in my area who treats chickens, or who will even tell me what antibiotic to use. I ordered some Tricide-Neo and am waiting for it to be delivered. Any further updates from anyone using this?

I'm only on day 2 of soaking with the tricide-neo. The one that only had very small black spots, on both feet, peeled off after one treatment and I did not wrap him, just soaked and rubbed in neosporin. He still got the second soak today, but that's it so far. The girls spots seem to be dryer then before and any redness has gotten better. That's it so far. The wrapping is the time consuming part for me. These guys are not cooperating at all for the wraps.

Thank you for the information, daytonfarm! It is so encouraging to hear that others are having success with this. I have been soaking my hen's foot in warm water with epsom salt and wrapping daily for several days just to keep the area clean and dry until my order gets here. My husband holds her on her side while I wrap. It helps to have someone assisting. I found that longer pieces of vet wrap make it easier as well. I cut them too short one day and they kept slipping. I hope you have someone to help you with this. Good luck to you and your chickens
smile.png

Help, please?

I'm not sure if it's been said, but if anyone can tell me, can you refrigerate (sp?) already used tricide-neo mixture and re-use it for a few days? I have 4 birds with early bumblefoot and I don't want to keep going through this stuff. My parents aren't at all happy that the birds aren't 100% healthy. I'm paying for vet-wrap, gauze, and tri-neo myself. They are my animals, and I take responsibility for them. I just want to know what I can do to insure I'm getting my money's worth.

Thanks. Also, any words of wisdom? I tried surgery by myself and it didn't go well, nothing happened. Parents are a teensy bit busy to help, and I caught this early enough that there's no swelling and none of my birds seem to be in any pain. Yet. That's why I've waited a week for the 'after-surgery' to re-heal and want to go with the non-invasive way, so I don't need anyone else's help.

Back
Top Bottom