Virgin Chicken owner...the beginning of the journey!

Hey!! Haven't updated in a while but figured I'd stop in.
All is well with miss amelia. Her crop issue seemed to have sorted itself out so hooray!!! They play on their swing all the time and I got a mister for their run to use in the 100 degree afternoons which helps a lot. The shade covering I have wasn't cutting it.
They eat so dang much these days. I'm so happy that they're all healthy.
Surprisingly my girl Betty white, the orpington, has taken the role of head hen. She's kind of a snob to me at times when I'm trying to hold the other hens. She hovers and tries to peck me at times! I never would've pinned her to end up being the ruler of the group but it's happened!
Another poster on here said to push them gently down and hold them over the back until they settle down when they try to peck me. Although it's like having a child and having to repeat the process constantly, it does work!!
Cheers all!

Anyone know what to think about this white thing going on at her ears?
It's both sides. One side is all white and big and the other looks the same but a bit bloody or something. My other andalusian, who is the same age, doesn't have this.

Here's a shot of a hen hanging out of the swing. I have to be sneaky because they jump down and come running for treats when they see me. Lol

All the henny penny's are doing wonderful aaaand....... Check this out!!! FIRST EGG EVER!!!! I'm ridiculously excited over it. Yaaaay

We have a second layer!!! Woohoo! I just feel high on life right now. Seriously.

So not sure if it's coincidence or not but I decided to revamp our store bought coop because they won't stop sleeping in the nest boxes so I was wondering if they didn't have enough roost room now.... Which leads to lots of poo in nest boxes.
1f4a9.png
eeew.
So we did the revamp Sunday afternoon. First egg came Monday morning!!! Coincidence??

Also, are they usually really noisy when they start laying? Suddenly it really does sound like chicken birth out there at certain times and no animals (my dog or cat) taunting them so....?

I'd like to add that they're still sleeping in the nesting boxes by the way.
1f612.png

The roosts are the same height as the boxes. Nothing I can do about that. So would it be worth a reconstruction of my previous reconstruction to add some nest boxes on the bottom of the coop as well? Or will I need to rip out the boxes in there?

Back
Top Bottom