Virginia

I would have to second the Premier1 fencing. that stuff is so great for an easilly set up virtually impenetrable fencing (if you have it electrified...LOL I also recommend a lightning arrestor) My dogs are 160lbs and they wont go near it...one shock is all it took. it is about $1 a linear foot. and the fence they make for poultry has 3" openings that no fox can get through. I cant gush about the product enough. We had a fox problem last year and once we encosed our area with this fencing, we haven't lost a single bird.

I would recommend 24" min under the coop for air circulation and so you can easilly shovel out the yuck if you need to. and also so the chickens can get under to scratch for bug larvae and to get in out of the rain. 1" mesh bottom is a great idea but personally, in our coop we have a solid bottom and use "sweetPDZ" which is a crushed mineral used as a stall refresher sold at Tractor supply in bags. When used in a chicken coop it is scoopable like kitty litter and really keeps the smell and moisture down if that sort of thing is an issue. and it is safe for the chickens if they eat it. it is about $10 a bag, though, if you are on a tight budget.

welcome to the chicken adventure!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6410090/width/200/height/
Martha's being broody, again, but the eggs she was setting turned out not to be viable. I haven't been able to break her off the nest, so if anryone in central Virginia has 1/2 a dozen B. Australorp fertile eggs or game fowl eggs, I'm interested in speaking with you![/QUOTE]

I will pm

I would have to second the Premier1 fencing. that stuff is so great for an easilly set up virtually impenetrable fencing (if you have it electrified...LOL I also recommend a lightning arrestor) My dogs are 160lbs and they wont go near it...one shock is all it took. it is about $1 a linear foot. and the fence they make for poultry has 3" openings that no fox can get through. I cant gush about the product enough. We had a fox problem last year and once we encosed our area with this fencing, we haven't lost a single bird.

I would recommend 24" min under the coop for air circulation and so you can easilly shovel out the yuck if you need to. and also so the chickens can get under to scratch for bug larvae and to get in out of the rain. 1" mesh bottom is a great idea but personally, in our coop we have a solid bottom and use "sweetPDZ" which is a crushed mineral used as a stall refresher sold at Tractor supply in bags. When used in a chicken coop it is scoopable like kitty litter and really keeps the smell and moisture down if that sort of thing is an issue. and it is safe for the chickens if they eat it. it is about $10 a bag, though, if you are on a tight budget.

X2 on the PDZ - don't use in summer much except in brooder pan - In summer we have enough ventilation that poo dries quick - only time its a problem is when humidity is high- I am installing some auto closing house vents at floor level under roost to assist with winter ventilation- they open at 40 degrees and it very rarely goes below that here for a very long duration

spazzy, all of my coops except the horse trailer have raised bottoms with hardware cloth for a floor. poops fall thru and bugs do their thing. in the winter I put a good layer of hay on the floor with shavings on top of that. in the spring it all comes out easily. the hay/shavings dry out easily because of the air flow under the floor so the coop stays nice and dry. I have open vents year round up under the edges of the roof as well.
I'm thinking of going with lineoleum on a wood floor in a medium shed sized coop, as I want to be able to go in there and I'd go through hardware cloth in a half second. =)

I am wondering/concerned if roof vents will be good enough in the winter though. For the summer I think I am going to try to plan on having at least one wall that is completely removable but covered with hardware cloth for both full ventilation yet still predator safe as it can get seriously hot around here, even with shade.

I have about a month to get the coop and run(s) built before I will have chickens here. Not a whole lot of time to do this.

I would have to second the Premier1 fencing.  that stuff is so great for an easilly set up virtually impenetrable fencing (if you have it electrified...LOL  I also recommend a lightning arrestor)  My dogs are 160lbs and they wont go near it...one shock is all it took.  it is about $1 a linear foot. and the fence they make for poultry has 3" openings that no fox can get through.  I cant gush about the product enough.  We had a fox problem last year and once we encosed our area with this fencing, we haven't lost a single bird.

I would recommend 24" min under the coop for air circulation and so you can easilly shovel out the yuck if you need to.  and also so the chickens can get under to scratch for bug larvae and to get in out of the rain.  1" mesh bottom is a great idea but personally, in our coop we have a solid bottom and use "sweetPDZ" which is a crushed mineral used as a stall refresher sold at Tractor supply in bags.  When used in a chicken coop it is scoopable like kitty litter and really keeps the smell and moisture down if that sort of thing is an issue.  and it is safe for the chickens if they eat it.  it is about $10 a bag, though, if you are on a tight budget.

X2 on the PDZ - don't use in summer much except in brooder pan - In summer we have enough ventilation that poo  dries quick - only time its a problem is when humidity is high- I am installing some auto closing house vents at floor level under roost to assist with winter ventilation- they open at 40 degrees and it very rarely goes below that here for a very long duration

Premier 1, no excuses. I wholeheartedly concur!

Quote:
none of my coops are big enough for a person to go in, except the horse trailer... for that, personally I'd build it on the ground on a raised gravel base to keep water out, and do the deep litter method (composting the manure inside the coop). IMO I would rather have a coop that's entirely open on one end all year than not enough vets for just the winter. as long as the prevailing winds don't blow straight in.

I'm thinking of going with lineoleum on a wood floor in a medium shed sized coop, as I want to be able to go in there and I'd go through hardware cloth in a half second. =)

I am wondering/concerned if roof vents will be good enough in the winter though. For the summer I think I am going to try to plan on having at least one wall that is completely removable but covered with hardware cloth for both full ventilation yet still predator safe as it can get seriously hot around here, even with shade.

I have about a month to get the coop and run(s) built before I will have chickens here. Not a whole lot of time to do this.
When we built the coop in the avatar wife called around all the vinyl flooring shops and found one had a remnant from a large job. It was one piece and I rolled it up the sides and back about 4" and put 1x2 strips to hold it secure . Its rolled down he edges of the chicken and walk thru door. You can power wash
it if need be and the poop doesn't stick to it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom