Virginia

Hello Virginians, I'm on a mission. I'm looking for one or two cream legbar pullets or hens, but I don't live around here. I'm visiting my folks in Williamsburg. I'll be travelling back home to SC on the 23rd and can pick up birds anywhere along I64 between W'burg and Richmond that morning or near I95 from Richmond south in the early afternoon. My poor rooster is so lonely, I want to help him out!

Hello Virginians, I'm on a mission. I'm looking for one or two cream legbar pullets or hens, but I don't live around here. I'm visiting my folks in Williamsburg. I'll be travelling back home to SC on the 23rd and can pick up birds anywhere along I64 between W'burg and Richmond that morning or near I95 from Richmond south in the early afternoon. My poor rooster is so lonely, I want to help him out!

Shoot Tony a PM - he might be able to point you in the right direction. He's a great guy!

many many many thanks to pysankigirl for coming down last weekend and helping me with the coops... I didn't get much done this week, but did put one piece of roofing up today, which told me I need more help to get the rest of the roof up. LOL

this is what's done so far...

Ki4got- oh, no-stop giving me ideas! Lol:) Is that a sunporch? I love the idea and the whole set up. It could house chickens on one side and the other side to rotate them out or flock on one side and grow out area for chicks on the other side or...or...oh no...here we go again! Thanks;-)

many many many thanks to pysankigirl for coming down last weekend and helping me with the coops... I didn't get much done this week, but did put one piece of roofing up today, which told me I need more help to get the rest of the roof up. LOL

this is what's done so far...
OOOHHH! look at all that lovely plywood!

none of my coops are big enough for a person to go in, except the horse trailer... for that, personally I'd build it on the ground on a raised gravel base to keep water out, and do the deep litter method (composting the manure inside the coop). IMO I would rather have a coop that's entirely open on one end all year than not enough vets for just the winter. as long as the prevailing winds don't blow straight in.

I have to be concerned with hurricane flooding here, the whole area has been under at least a foot at one time or another in the past. Are chickens good swimmers? =)
It will have to be at least 18" off the ground for their safety as I live in a flood 2 zone. If it hits flood 3 then me and my family, my two dogs, four ferrets, corn snake, and the chickens all might be on the second floor waiting for the water to subside...
And yes there IS a chainsaw in the den upstairs in case I have to cut through the roof to get out. And the john boat will be tied so it's also retrievable from the second floor... or roof. LOL

Ki4got- oh, no-stop giving me ideas! Lol:) Is that a sunporch? I love the idea and the whole set up. It could house chickens on one side and the other side to rotate them out or flock on one side and grow out area for chicks on the other side or...or...oh no...here we go again! Thanks;-)

here's a pic of the finished pens on the first side... it'll be a total of 8 pens when I'm done, and the far end will be one final LONG pen for chicks, broodies, cages, etc if needed. a multi purpose area, completely covered and wired in. need to finish the second half first tho, before I add that last section.

a mockup of the finished design (no roofing shown)

the 2 pens at the left are finished in this pic, but I had yet to add the doors to the house sections for the 2nd 2 pens.

and the right hand pens finished and occupied by chicks/broodies.

my nest boxes are bottomless, so they can go on the ground for broodies (shavings inside) or on the wire for eggs with hay for bedding. the houses are wire floored so poops fall thru.
this pic also shows the roosts I added to the pen section, with a wired part near the door to put a water pan on, to keep it out of the mud somewhat. (red/white girl standing on it).

the wire on the outer walls is welded 1x1 and 2x4 with chicken wire between the pens (the outer wall on the last pic will eventually be an inside wall too).

Quote:
so when you coming back down?
wink.png

the siding closest to the well head is actually for my quail cage. the plywood stacked at the table (far back of the pens) is already cut to size (mostly) and just needs to be put up. but if I put it up now, it might be in the way of getting the wire ceiling and roofing up, so that comes first.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom