Virginia

so who's headed to Gilmanor on Saturday? what are you bringing?

I'll have some SFH, Coturnix quail and an assortment of bantam cochins. possibly a few EE's too.

This is so strange.. A week ago I noticed that Martha had lost all her tail feathers. Every one! All I can think of is that something grabbed her tail and got it, though it's difficult to imagine getting all of it at once. Anyone have an idea, please let me know. She used to have a nice dark fan, just like the games in the lower photo.

This is so strange.. A week ago I noticed that Martha had lost all her tail feathers. Every one! All I can think of is that something grabbed her tail and got it, though it's difficult to imagine getting all of it at once. Anyone have an idea, please let me know. She used to have a nice dark fan, just like the games in the lower photo.

all my older large fowl are doing it - I thought start of molt - don't know

Last edited:
I had a little hamburg that was tailless the end of July. New tail came right in quickly. I also have two 12 week old pullets that have lost half of their tails all at once. Interesting to hear others having this happen as well.

Got two beautiful Orpingtons today! A blue and a black! Karen, it was good to see you today. Didn't get a chance to get back to say "Hello" you were so busy! Anybody get any pretty babies today?

yup. tail is usually the most noticeable part of the moult. some birds will drop most or all of that first, since it takes longer for tails to grow than the shorter body feathers.

I have some girls who are nearly naked right now. others are a bit better but not by much. here's one girl from last year's moult. LOL (silver grey dorking)

Got two beautiful Orpingtons today! A blue and a black! Karen, it was good to see you today. Didn't get a chance to get back to say "Hello" you were so busy! Anybody get any pretty babies today?

oh, I wish you had! I love meeting online friends. we had so many that stopped by today to visit with us (Leigh and myself). and some were very much missed in their absences (Tony! *hugs*)

yes, we were pretty busy for the most part. I should have advertised sooner, but as it was I had 3 sfh girls who came back home with me and 2 boys I wouldn't sell to the 'buzzards' trying to scoop up cheap meals. tho they did take 8 assorted cockerels off my hands for $2 each (and saved me more than that in a week's worth of feed. LOL)

no pics yet, but I did pick up a gorgeous trio of black bantam cochins. the rooster is a bit mismarked (I think he's got some birchen in his background) but they have amazing type and will help big time with some of my breeding groups (in the long run).

Last edited:
Thanks,for the help, folks!

yup. tail is usually the most noticeable part of the moult. some birds will drop most or all of that first, since it takes longer for tails to grow than the shorter body feathers. I have some girls who are nearly naked right now. others are a bit better but not by much. here's one girl from last year's moult. LOL (silver grey dorking)

Back
Top Bottom