Virginia

VA Raptor

.... I have no idea why they're all sideways or upside down.... they are right in my folder... ????
barnie.gif

Anyway.
Eva is about 8months old now. Arrived this past Thurs. Is 1/2jersey and 1/2angus. And is SUCH a sweet baby!!!!
love.gif

capt. maybe, but you would not be sure. thanks for the ovations, you and va raptor. got some cubalayas hatching today also hen hatched.

How did your hatch go?

BTW, I've been mostly hands off with the pair I got from you, giving them time to adjust. Even so, the pullet hopped up in my lap the other day.
love.gif
I may cull a few more birds from the general flock starting this week.
.... I have no idea why they're all sideways or upside down.... they are right in my folder... ????
barnie.gif

Anyway.
Eva is about 8months old now. Arrived this past Thurs. Is 1/2jersey and 1/2angus. And is SUCH a sweet baby!!!!
love.gif
I don't remember much about cattle, but she does look like a sweet girl. Will you keep her for milk or as a dam? I think I recall someone using angus w/ brown swiss, but it has been over a decade, lol! Also, looks like a nice barn. I am beyond jealous.
smile.png

VA Raptor

barnie.gif

Anyway.
love.gif
Just a random question. Since she is a mix of a meat breed and a dairy breed what exactly will you use her for? Meat or Milk, or is she just a pet?

Eva will be a dairy cow. I wouldn't know what to do with all the milk that a pure Jersey could produce. I'm hoping that the angus in her will temper that a bit. A couple gallons a day is more than enough for me to use and share.
I have a friend who has a sweet angus bull. Eva will go to his place once a year for 'camp' and will then be raising a beef calf.
All that is assuming - of course - that all MY plans go as expeceted.

Eva will be a dairy cow. I wouldn't know what to do with all the milk that a pure Jersey could produce. I'm hoping that the angus in her will temper that a bit. A couple gallons a day is more than enough for me to use and share.
I have a friend who has a sweet angus bull. Eva will go to his place once a year for 'camp' and will then be raising a beef calf.
All that is assuming - of course - that all MY plans go as expeceted.
Wow that sounds cool. I know this sounds lazy of me, but I just wouldn't or couldn't do dairy cows because of all the work...

Quote:
it depends a LOT on the cow and the training, but we milked one of our Hereford cows on an 'as needed' basis until the fall when we weaned all the calves. we just penned the cow and calf over night in separate stalls the night before we planned to milk her, which was usually 2-3 times a week max. the calf kept her empty the rest of the time.

Back
Top Bottom