Virginia

Rest In Peace, Martha!
Martha the Master Mom met her end yesterday afternoon, defending her chicks from Ol' Mr. Fox. All ten of her brood came peeping out of the woods, but Martha didn't make it. She was the oldest and most reliable broody hen in our clan. Stalwart on the nest and fiercely protective, she was incredibly patient with her instruction to the peeps. She was also my baby and I'll miss her terribly. Seems silly about a chicken, I know, but I felt like she was my buddy. Today has been awfully long. Every time I venture outdoors, I expect she'll be there, as always. ****...

Sorry to hear that news, its always hard to lose a favorite.
She went out doing what nature programed her to do. Protect
the brood at all costs. Maybe she left one in those ten to take her place.

Rest In Peace, Martha! Martha the Master Mom met her end yesterday afternoon, defending her chicks from Ol' Mr. Fox. All ten of her brood came peeping out of the woods, but Martha didn't make it. She was the oldest and most reliable broody hen in our clan. Stalwart on the nest and fiercely protective, she was incredibly patient with her instruction to the peeps. She was also my baby and I'll miss her terribly. Seems silly about a chicken, I know, but I felt like she was my buddy. Today has been awfully long. Every time I venture outdoors, I expect she'll be there, as always. ****...
So sorry to hear! Martha truly sounds like one of a kind.

Beautiful picture of her. I hope the rest of your flock can bring you as much happiness as she did
1f60a.png

Thanks cubalaya. Do you have them staked down? Dd and I encountered a bear over the weekend when coming up from collecting eggs. I was thinking about staking down brood 'triangle' pens but I don't think it would help if the bear decided on chicken dinner
1f601.png

Back
Top Bottom