Virginia

I've got a friend with a flock of Dalawares in Floyd. I just sold off my entire breeding flock a few weeks ago.
PM me for details and I can put you in touch with someone.

As for swaps...I live outside Blacksburg and have marans, bielefelders, legbars, isbars, and barnevelders. I might bring some chicks to a swap, but you can PM me for more info...I hatch weekly.

For SW VA vets who take care of chickens and other poultry, call Town and Country Vet clinic, Christiansburg. They work with chickens.

I will most definitely be interested in the Delawares and the Barnevelders too. thank you. I will pm you as I get closer to being ready. We are way behind and am having trouble finding a place near where we need to be.

Does anyone know of any home rentals that are 30-40 minutes away from Big Stone Gap? Could even be a rent to own or flat out purchase for a good deal. If anyone knows any place please pm me. Please and thank you.

Hi! I'm in Tazewell county (Bluefield) and looking to rehome two ducklings quickly. They are three weeks old and healthy. I'm happy to meet you somewhere and bring them to you! Free, just want them to go to a good place!

Hi everyone. I'm in SW Virginia. I'm new to raising chickens. I grew up on a farm with them but I wasn't the one caring for them so this will be a learning experience. I just bought 10 from Tractor supply last Friday. 4 Rhode Island Red, 2 New Hampshire Red, 2 Black Asian, 2 Australop. I have them in the basement for now but will need to come up with a coop in 3 or 4 weeks. If anyone knows where I could get something that would work good, please let me know. Tractor supply has the kits in a box for $299 but I'm not sure how good they are. Anyway, I'm looking forward to messaging and learning from you all.

Hi everyone. I'm in SW Virginia. I'm new to raising chickens. I grew up on a farm with them but I wasn't the one caring for them so this will be a learning experience. I just bought 10 from Tractor supply last Friday. 4 Rhode Island Red, 2 New Hampshire Red, 2 Black Asian, 2 Australop. I have them in the basement for now but will need to come up with a coop in 3 or 4 weeks. If anyone knows where I could get something that would work good, please let me know. Tractor supply has the kits in a box for $299 but I'm not sure how good they are. Anyway, I'm looking forward to messaging and learning from you all.
welcome-byc.gif
and welcome to the Virginia Thread! Hope you enjoy your BYC experience. About the coop, if you're able, it may be cheaper to build it yourself; and that way, you get it exactly the way you want.

Yeah, every coop we priced was super expensive and only for 3-6 chickens. We have a dozen we need a coop for, so I think we're building one out of pallets. I found a pallet-coop on this site that was charming, and my husband (who has been skeptical of using pallets for ANYthing up to this point) liked it so much, he is planning to use pallets to build a wood shed, too.

Yeah, every coop we priced was super expensive and only for 3-6 chickens. We have a dozen we need a coop for, so I think we're building one out of pallets. I found a pallet-coop on this site that was charming, and my husband (who has been skeptical of using pallets for ANYthing up to this point) liked it so much, he is planning to use pallets to build a wood shed, too.

If you can find good pallets, sand them down real good, have a little know-how, and a fresh coat of paint you can do a whole lot with pallets! I'm planning on tearing apart a few pallets we have lying around to fix up our old hoophouse to put our heritage dominique flock in.

WELCOME! My husband & I are in Locust Grove. .... sort of in between Culpeper and Fredericksburg. We initially started with two 10 by 12 grow out pens which served well but now we are building all of our permanent pens...12×12 unit divided into 3 sections (to house 4-5 birds each). The ones at TS...ebay, etc. are junk. Made out of paper thin wood and once the elements hit it once or twice; those cages will not hold up for very long. we are not super talented Carpenters but if we were able to build ours.....anyone can. My husband likes things to last & these units are rock solid. The new ones we are building will have a pitch roof...... next box housing will be elevated in order for the birds to use the entire space of the run. I have a ton of photos and can get more detailed pictures of things including our food and watering containers but for now just wanted to share some basic photos to get an idea of how simple a design can be and inexpensive to build yourself. I know that many coups are completely enclosed but even during the harshest weather we have had here all we did was put plastic around three sides and that prevented snow and bad rain from coming in. I like having it open and airy..... and I think the birds do better that way. The cage with my dog in it now houses my Lavender Ameraucana. LoL

Can you share where got the design? I'm always looking for different ideas and pallet wood will be what I use most likely. FYI if you can get your pallets from places like Tile, Granite, Brick etc places the pallets will be mostly hardwoods and a lot of times you can find some exotic hardwoods as well.

If you can find good pallets, sand them down real good, have a little know-how, and a fresh coat of paint you can do a whole lot with pallets! I'm planning on tearing apart a few pallets we have lying around to fix up our old hoophouse to put our heritage dominique flock in.

Back
Top Bottom