Virginia

Well I see people have roosters lol and I'm here to say the same thing
I have a EE roo about 8-10 months old and 3 month old chicks that are roosters.
Im located in Amherst and I'm in search of some lavender Orpington hens

Hey Virginia thread! ☺️

I’m on the lookout for anyone selling some handlable duck hens as I’m trying to find a new companion for my special needs duck! I’m looking around in the Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake areas/anywhere near those areas. Let me know if anything pops up!!

ok weird request. i have a friend who wants to borrow a chicken for a birthday for a few hours for the ultimate "guess what chicken butt". We're located in Arlington, he's willing to pick up within a half hour drive, willing to compensate up to $30. Again, silly/odd request, but lmk!

Hello from Chesapeake, VA! I'm heading out to buy supplies, four Midnight Marans (it's all the store has) and two Easter Eggers. We'll be keeping them in our sunroom until my husband has their coop/tractor built (he's incredibly handy😊). We're on just under an acre, with two dogs- one 74 lb gentle giant, one 13 lb pup with a Napoleon complex, and my son's hellcat. I'm not worried about the dogs, and the hellcat lives upstairs in my son's part of the house (far away from said sunroom).
If anyone can give me tips/suggestions on what to do/what Not to do, what supplies to get, what Not to waste $ on.. we'd appreciate it!
Thanks!

Hello from Chesapeake, VA! I'm heading out to buy supplies, four Midnight Marans (it's all the store has) and two Easter Eggers. We'll be keeping them in our sunroom until my husband has their coop/tractor built (he's incredibly handy😊). We're on just under an acre, with two dogs- one 74 lb gentle giant, one 13 lb pup with a Napoleon complex, and my son's hellcat. I'm not worried about the dogs, and the hellcat lives upstairs in my son's part of the house (far away from said sunroom).
If anyone can give me tips/suggestions on what to do/what Not to do, what supplies to get, what Not to waste $ on.. we'd appreciate it!
Thanks!

Build with maintenance in mind. I designed around minimum daily maintenance. Just feeding daily. Nipple waterers are less mess. Think about your winter water. Will you have power for a heater or are you committing to changing water daily? I've found feeding your birds daily is a good way to interact with them and have tame chickens.

I just read that if you want to have chickens in Chesapeake, VA, you are required to buy a permit. This came from a site that claimed to have a boatload of laws on backyard chickens throughout the country, but I haven't actually seen it verified anywhere. Does anyone know for certain of this is true? The city's chicken laws are in legalese, and not easily understandable. Also, we were told that a coop must be movable/a chicken tractor, or we were required to get a completely different permit for that, as well. Does anyone know if the run is Also required to be mobile, or can we have a mobile coop within a 'dog pen', covered with a roof and protection on three sides (with ventilation up above where the roots & nesting boxes will be)?

Back
Top Bottom