Viva Las Vegas!

I bumped up the timer on my automatic watering system so that the bowls and buckets overflow a bit. The girls all scratch out areas to lay down in the damp soil. Additionally all of my waterers are on the east side of something so that they are shaded in the afternoon.

Hi everyone! I live in Henderson and have had 3 barred rocks for 3 years and last year added an easter egger and a New Hampshire red.. It's been a happy three years until now!
2 weeks ago I found one of my barred rocks laying on the ground.. I took her inside immediately and put her in a box with water.. She wouldn't stand or drink! I took her to black Mountain animal hospital and they gave her electrolyte water and said they didn't know what else to do. She died that night! I thought it was just something that went wrong with her and it was the cycle of life! The other four have been bright eyed and rambunctious as usual.

However tonight I came home from work and found another barred rock dead! Laying next to the waterer! Im devastated and accounting it to the heat and I'm panicked on what to do with this awful heat wave coming! I have never had a problem in the last three summers. I think I am going to install a mister on their coop! I work 12 hour shifts and can't always be home in the day to spray them off. I don't know what to do and I can't stand to lose any more of my girls!!! Any suggestions?? This is my coop.... They have plenty of shade and water during the day but it is in the hotter area of my yard

I lost one to the heat today
hit.gif

hello all,
I am a beginner with chickens, this is my first year and we got three little hens in march, 1 rhode island, 1 orpington, and 1 ameraucana....

We recently found out we that the orpington is a rooster.. he's crowing right now! We don't know what to do with him. Any help would be appreciated?

A new problem came up yestereday which I see a few of you have experienced, our poor ameraucana ( our favorite one ofcourse) was found dead. We are very sad about this
Now we have one rooster and one hen. Not exactly a backyard flock. We have to get rid of the rooster he crows too much , we don't want to get in trouble.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Is any one looking for a rooster, he really is a beautiful bird. Golden with long feathers. Would anyone be willing to trade a hen for a rooster? Our last hen is lonely!
Any advice would be appreciated thanks!
B

OK we lost one of our red this morning from yesterdays heat. We have pans of water out. Frozen bottles of water and even a nipple system. What else can I do for them? Also that means im down 2 hens now and am looking to purchase two more if anyone has extra. Mine are 4 months old. I am looking forward to your responses

for those of you with this real small flocks maybe if you can bring them indoors if you have central air maybe lock him in the bathroom while you're at work or in the hottest part of the day that's what I'm doing with my girls those with orphingtons I found out last year they don't handle heat well also if your birds overheating don't put them in cold water that will put their body into shock need to use luke warm water and then slowly add cool

My hubby, Coupedup, just installed a misting system on the inside of the run, they seemed to enjoy it... well they didn't run from it anyways. It damped down the sand (what we use instead of straw or wood flake thingies) and they love to dig into it and plop down in the cool wet sand. I noticed we had a broken sprinkler head a couple weeks ago that was spraying right into the run and they tended to hang out in that part of the run when the water stopped shooting in. I think the wet sand keeps them cooler. We have a basic wall fan installed that has an intake and output so it circulates the air. The coop is under a large fruit tree so it gets shade most of the day. I haven't done anything else other than giving them fresh water everyday, they aren't really interested in staying out of the coop for long when I let them roam the yard in the morning. After reading all these posts about losing hens I ran out to check on them. Other than a couple of them panting they seem fine, moving around a bit and settling in for the night. Now I'm paranoid :/ I'm gonna be checking on them constantly!

As for the rooster, post an add on craigslist or someone mentioned Nellis Feed buying roosters, although I am not sure if that only applies to chicks you buy there or chicks from anywhere? Anyone know? We got 9 sexed chicks from V&V, they told us they were 90% chance of hens... well, 2 of our 9 are for sure roosters and I have a suspicion about 3 more! That's more than HALF!!! They need someone else sexing the chicks :hmm I would have had the same odds getting straight run *sigh*

I was scared to read this link tonight see how many more there chickens didn't make it through my girls are inside although all I have is a swamp cooler but last night they were so miserable in the coop I had to bring him in and nobody is just have to get a break from this heat I feel so bad for all the animals that are stuck out in this heat right now and scared how many are going to lose there life I'm lucky I only have 4 so I can bring them in side my house I have 3 in the doggie bed area on this paperthen little bit gets free range of the bedroom and she has a bed right under the swamp cooler that she picked out she get to come in quite often because she's the bottom of the pecking order so her flock is the dogs

Back
Top Bottom