Warhorse Game

Winggedheart

Songster
9 Years
Dec 18, 2010
Ringgold
Hi everybody, I'm wondering if any of you game-chicken keepers know anything about the Warhorse breed? I came across the name while looking at some pumpkin hulseys, and was quite curious, so asked a local Pump. Hulsey breeder if he knew anything about them. He said that he's never owned one, and that they're very rare now, and most likely not in pureblood.

Quote:
Go to the link there is a good right up about them there.
ultimatefowl com/wiki/index.php?title=Warhorse

Chris

Like Bacon Warhorse? Saw a huge handsome black rooster at a flea market once and was admiring him when the guy told me he was a Bacon Warhorse. Looked it up and it was originated by Col. Tom Bacon (which happens to be my husband's name, minus the Col. part--mine was a Master Sgt in the AF). I have seen pics which lead me to think the the flea market guy was full of baloney because none of the pics online look like that rooster I saw, nor does the description sound like him.

BACON WARHORSE: Originator, Col. Thomas Bacon, S. C., 1850’s. Bloodlines: Baltimore cock X John Stone Irish Gilder hens. Description: Black, black with lemon hackle and saddle, st. comb, dark legs, daw or hazel eyes.​

Quote:

A flea market chicken peddler, full of baloney? Surely not....
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:

A flea market chicken peddler, full of baloney? Surely not....
smile.png

lol.png

Seriously, though, is there a Warhorse that is not a Bacon Warhorse? I'm not into game chickens, personally, just wanting to clarify.

I believe some simply refer to a black gamecock as a warhorse. Not sure why, or if that is correct terminology, but I know I have heard them referred to as that.

Over the years different families of Warhorse have popped up, same as how there are different families of Hatch or Kelso. Warhorse aren't very common today and most of the ones you'll see are black or black with copper shoulders as opposed to the original brown red coloration.

Back
Top Bottom