Warning for Poultry Hollow Hatchery Buyers

Cut & pasted from this forum:
We bought 2 chickens from Poultry Hollow when they were 3 weeks, a Cinnamon Queen and a Partridge Silkie. They are both so very beautiful and healthy. We have been so happy with the babies that we decided to go back for the remainder of our chicks. Judy is a great ol gal. She is SO incredibly knowledgeable about her birds. Don't go to her farm if you are in a rush, she will take the time to answer all your questions, but because she has such beautiful birds she is VERY busy. Like I said we have been out 2x and BOTH times she was super helpful. It is a true farm experience. I also was very pleased at how organized she was with as many breeds and birds that she has, at all ages. It is really impressive if you ask me. I also love knowing were my birds came from and that she has so many uncommon birds. This is a treat to have so close to home.

One last thing, we lost one of our first birds. It was COMPLETELY human error, no error to the hatchery. Sadly our toddler grabbed the chick when we were not looking and she didn't make it. Sometimes things happen, especially when you have young tender aged birds. I just want people to know Poultry Hollow really is a great family place. It is sad that the persons who posted had a bad experience, but I have had 2 GREAT EXPERIENCES! Give Judy a call if you need good advice, she answers all my calls, and there have been many!

How how do I post pictures of my beautiful ladies?

Also this is not to disregard the fact that someone lost their chicks, I just wanted to let you all know I had a really GREAT experience.

Cut & pasted from this forum:
We got 3 BO's from them 2 weeks ago and they are doing great.They were 4 weeks old when we got them, we didn't want day old chicks. The woman we worked with was very helpful about the birds. She answered our questions and invited us to look around the property at some of the exotics chickens and other fowl they had.

One of our girls even went to a college class with my daughter her first week with us. She was doing a speech on chicken ordinances in TN. Maggie (the BO) was a big hit~~a real beauty and good natured.

We just got their coop and run finished tonight and they settled right in.

Maggie on the right, Ruth on the left, and a tiny bit of Joyce's tail feathers showing on the far left.

Cut & Pasted from this forum:
Just wanted to say that my experience with Poultry Hollow has been nothing but favorable. I'm new to backyard chicken keeping and started by getting 6 day old clicks (2 barred rocks, 2 RIRs, 2 Buff Orpingtons) from Poultry Hollow. All were healthy chicks and were sexed correctly as girls by Judy. This summer I got 10 ten week old pullets of various breeds from Poultry Hollow. All growing into beautiful birds and have started laying. Poultry Hollow is well worth the 2 hour drive from my home in Knoxville. Very, very hard to understand the negative reviews.

So, be your own judge, the numbers talk...

I have had the same problem with Poultry Hollow Hatchery of Tennessee, are they selling sick chickens all the time? In June of 2013 I bought 12 pullets, 2 each of different breeds from them and picked the chicks up in Chattanooga, three of the chicks were dead in the very small box trampled to death. We drove up to the hatchery to pick up 3 replacements and found the hatchery to be very dirty with half eaten chickens in different runs. In early December 2 of my pullets started limping and not eating or drinking, the local vet confirmed the chicks had Marek's disease so I had them put down since then 2 more chickens have died and 1 more is showing signs of disease. I contacted the hatchery and have received no reply, this is a deadly disease and I could loose all my girls, very disappointing. My chicken coop is new with no other chickens on the site before and no new chickens introduced since then, I will buy vaccinated chicks from now on and not from Poultry Hollow Hatchery.

Last edited:
I had just contacted Poultry hollow about getting birds in March. Reading all of this makes me think otherwise. There some pretty harsh accusations here also. I don't really know what to think, but based on the comments, I have some thinking to do as I have a 7 year old that would be devastated to walk out to collect and see a dead bird. I'll keep you posted. Also, if anyone has Copper or Cookoo Marans for sale, let me know please

I still have not received a reply from Poultry Hollow Hatchery about my dead hens and another one has died so that is 5 dead. Another vet I talked to said the chicks he bought from them were sickly but he was able to keep them alive in spite of their poor health. There seems to be many people happy with Poultry Hollow but my experience was very negative and they did not even bother to reply to my email. I will not buy from them again.

That makes up my mind, it's a no for me. I'll go to Maryville. Not a hatchery but have nice birds. Kenleigh Farms

Our family loves Poultry Hollow! We live about an hour away, but love the drive, the countryside, the large selection of birds, and friendliness of the Poultry Hollow family. We could save time & money by buying from Tractor Supply, but we would rather enjoy the experience of Poultry Hollow. We'll continue to take our 2 young boys there to purchase our family chickens!

I'm sure they have loyal clients, but it seems to me to be more negative than positive conversation except what Poultry Hollow posted.
There's only a handful of people in here that have an opinion about it, and my mind was made up from it. This is also not the first time I've read negative for PH, then on the other hand, I've read some really nice things about them. I just don't take that chance with my birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom