Warning for Poultry Hollow Hatchery Buyers

We bought our original flock from Poultry Hollow. We've since gone back twice not knowing where else to get pullets. In two years we've got about half of them left. Most of them became Ill quickly. Tails down. Stopped eating. Couldn't walk. And died within 1 to 4 days of becoming ill. We liked our trips to the farm and visits with the crazy old chicken lady but now consider it too risky. If we need more hens we hatch our own or mail order. We've had much better luck with Co-Op chicks and a rescue rooster. I believe Poultry Hollow mail orders from Cackle. So why pay them to raise your chicks for a week or two and also make them sick. Also their prices are very high.

One of the two chicks that we bought from them developed paralysis and had to be put down. It happens.

Poulty Hollow sell birds positive for Merek's Disease. I know from experience, bought from them and less than 24 hrs one by one of ne chicks started looking sick. Took to Kord Animal Diagnostic Lab in Nashville, Tn. Poulty Hollow refuses to believe they have diseased birds because they would have to shut down.
Diagnosis
Upper Respiratory Disease Marek's Disease
Final Diagnosis Comment
Histopathological findings were consistent with Marek's disease. Mycoplasma was negative, and Avibacterium (former Haemophilus) was not isolated.
Gross Examination
Presented alive is a 6-7 week-old Americana chicken in fair body condition. The animal is humanely euthanized. On general examination, the nasal cavity oozes small amounts of clear fluid. The right eye is slightly swollen but significant exudate is not noted. Upon opening the body, the internal organs are generally very pale. No other significant gross findings are observed in the body.
Gross Examination Diagnosis
Cause of Upper Respiratory Signs Rhinitis

OK, I want to say this again.

**First, Mareks disease can NOT be diagnosed by vets. Vets will tell you it is mareks just to give you an answer since they are charging a lot of money to look at a chicken.

**Secondly, there are many strains of mareks that can affect poultry.

**Thirdly and MOST important, our birds ARE vaccinated for mareks.

**Lastly, the state vet with the TN Dept of Agriculture was here last month February 2016 and we are disease free

So please before trying to hurt someone's business for a lack of YOUR knowledge, try to educate yourselves.

This is no better than Bullying or Bashing! Admins should close and delete this thread...

A vet seeking money did not diagnose Merek's, the State of Tennessee diagnostic lab (Kord Animal Diagnostic Lab) did a necropsy and determined the disease. Oh, and they test diseases for free

Back in 2011, and new to the chicken-raising hobby, I purchased four pullet chicks (2 BOs, 2 Dominiques) from Poultry Hollow. Five years later, I have one Dominique left. Peep STILL lays a couple of eggs a week. They were all bright, friendly birds that experienced no health problems. The others were lost over the years to predators. When I replenished my little flock I went with another hatchery just for variety. While those birds (2 Americaunas, 1 SLW, 1 Lt. Brahma, 1 Black Australorp, 1 Cuckoo Marans pullets plus one BSL Cockerel) were pretty birds, they were nothing like the ones from Poultry Hollow, neither in terms of productivity or personality.

This year, I went back to Poultry Hollow. I purchased 2 Dominiques, 1 Production Red, 1 Black Australorp, and 1 Welsummer chicks (1-2 days old at time of purchase). All are healthy, active, and friendly birds. I couldn't be happier, either with the birds OR service received from Miss Judy. People have complained about all kinds of crap--dirty, smelly, etc. but it was not...it was a FARM with large numbers of animals, all well-cared for and content. Raise animals long enough, and eventually there might be the occasional outbreak of illness or run of bad luck. It comes with the territory, you are going to lose some birds/animals/livestock. The times I've been there, staff were busy doing chores (cleaning pens, feeding etc.). It takes considerable effort to maintain such a large operation with the variety of birds and other animals present, and I have always been pleased.

I am very happy with Poultry Hollow, and if you live close enough to drive on out, you really ought to make the trip. Where else can you pick out your birds and see where they actually come from? My chicks are busy little bees and enjoy interaction--the ones from the other hatchery never were as curious and friendly as these and the others I have gotten from Poultry Hollow. Just thought I'd relate my experiences...

The reviews from previous years are NOT valid, and are pretty harsh, they also read like a bunch of novices and inexperienced arm chair farmers wrote them.
I have purchased chicks and love Poultry Hollow.
I saw nothing fithy, sick, or out of place. The outbuildings are old and look old, but that's a farm for you. The pens were clean and animals were healthy every time we've been out.
I have no doubts or concerns with Poultry Hollow. Thank you.
.....and to the ******** accusing people of lying about good experiences. NO I'm not related to poultry hollow. You should be ashamed for being a bully.

I bought two 10 week old barred rock, two RIR and two Buff Orpingtons took delivery on June 11, 2016, next day one of the rocks was sick started to sneeze and gurgle. I emailed Judy for advice on the 12th she responded on the 20th asking how was the rock. I responded with a unhappy email because she did not respond to my email with any advice. She said she responded the next day but I sent her the date showing on HER email.I also told her that she had slipped in a cockerel on me when the order form plainly showed I ordered pullets ( the buff is definitely a cockerel and possible one of the rocks as well) and I told her this as well on the phone and I KNOW she being in the poultry business would have known the buff was a cockerel, NOW on the 29th the buff hen is sick with head hanging down and very lethargic I gave the first one ( the rock) an antibiotic and she seems to be pulling out of it, the buff I gave yogurt and electrolytes if she survives the night we will see. I DO NOT recommend Poultry Hollow to anyone, they are very disorganized and frankly IMHO dishonest.Judy responded to my email saying "I was not a nice person" This from someone that sold me TWO sick chickens and would not respond to a call for help Aaand slipped at least one if not two cockerels in on me for pullets. Posting hopefully to help someone else from making the same mistake I did. I wish I had of checked out the reviews on them FIRST! Buyer beware! Thanks

Hi, Can anyone verify this Buff is a roo? I am about to get rid of him and just want to make sure.Also I am posting a pic of the two rocks that I also suspect one is a roo any info would be great. Thanks

I am sorry but your experience is no more important than the ones with bad experiences. I bought six chickens from her on June 11th 2016 and so far have had first chicken sick the day after I picked them up and she remained sick for two weeks AFTER I gave her antibiotics, I emailed PH for advice on June 12th about what could I do to help her and did not get a response from "Judy" until the 20th and then she only asked how the chicken was doing, my response to her was she would have surely died had I of waited on her to respond, she offered a refund, obviously she had not even read the email or she would have known the chicken had recovered. Three days later a chicken nearly died and I still don't know what happen to her or how I saved her because I thought she would be dead within the hour when I found her but I immediately started giving her yogurt and electrolytes hoping for the best and she did recover which is a miracle because she would just lie flat with her neck stretched out and jerking. Fast forward now I have at least one roo and possible two from a flock of six chickens that were suppose to be ALL PULLETS which was stated in the order form as well as relayed to her on the phone and you will not convince me that a woman that runs a chicken business does not know the difference in a pullet and a cockerel ( I have never owned chickens and even I knew the one was a cockerel as soon as I saw it just from what I had learned from the internet).Her response to me in my emails was "Your not a very nice person" and this coming from a woman that sold me two sick chickens, slipped one and possibly two roos in on me at $13.75 each and didn't even respond when asked for advice on how to help the sick one. So your review is all well and good but others have different experiences with PH and are doing a service to tell others of their experiences as well and as for me I would never buy from her again.

Back
Top Bottom