WAS THIS HEN FOOLING AROUND?

magikchick

~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~
12 Years
Apr 21, 2007
SW Florida
My cochin chicks are about 2 weeks old now. They look great and are growing fast. But one of the chicks looks different. Do I have a different breed or cross here.

p4.jpg

p3.jpg

p2.jpg

p1.jpg

You can see the little black one is smaller then my other and the feathering on its legs is not as thick. It also has a tail growing out and its wing feathers are longer.

Marsha

I don't know, but I will be very interested to see what others think--my Cochins have sort of the same thing going on, one runty little chick who looks like half a bantam while the others are all normal-sized.

Maybe s/he is a late bloomer? Or the bottom of the pecking order? I did find that when I separated my chicks into two pens so they would have more room, the runty one started to catch up a little, and after a while it became apparent that even when the other birds weren't hungry, they would try to block her from getting to the feeder. Next week they are all going in the barn, where they will have a ridiculous amount of room and a huge feeder, such that the other chickens cannot possibly form a barricade. If this miraculously causes my little runt to grow up big and strong, I'll get back to you.

Back
Top Bottom