Washing eggs

Saroco

Songster
9 Years
Sep 3, 2010
The Wonderful Land of Oz
I forgot wether to use cold or hot water to wash the eggs with. Could someone remind me?
smile.png

I don't wash until ready to use, however
today with all the rain, the eggs were a little
more dirty than usual. Will wash tomorrow, then
refrigerate.

I don't usually wash until right before use. This week we've had a bunch of rain, right after I cleaned my coop and before I could build up the bedding, so my eggs have been a little dirty. I've been bringing them in, soaking 2-3 minutes in a mild soap bath and rinsing with cool water.

I only wash my eggs if they have yucky stuff on them, and then it's just a short rinse under cold water to rub it off.

Otherwise, I never wash my eggs at all...just crack 'em right into the pan.
tongue.png

with the not-washing crew - unless they're really nasty.
the theory is that you want to use water cooler than the eggs because it keep the pores in the shell closed. warmer water opens the pores in the shell. if you're doing a very quick wash and dry, I don't know how much difference it would make.

washing, of course, removes the bloom, which helps keep the pores closed and keeps eggs from drying out. if you're worried about that part, you can rub a light coat of cooking oil or olive oil over the eggs after you wash them. that should help reduce the rate at which they dry out.

Read this link provided by the OP, it explains why you want to use water that is warmer than the egg, to keep anything from being brought into the egg.

Quote:

I don't wash them. I just wipe off any smears (hopefully mud, might be poo) with a paper towel that has been wet with hot water. I wipe them just before I put them in the fridge, which is after I get enough to make a dozen.

eta: since the majority of our eggs goes to someone else, I do put a label on them that says this:

These eggs are not washed. If you choose to wash them, it’s best to do so right before using them. Be sure to use water that is at least 10° warmer than the eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom