Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Quote:
That's great to hear! Who would have thought the broody would pull it in around the eggs.... that's really interesting. I read one blog that said something similar but I was taking it with a grain of salt because she was advertising an herb product, plus she didn't give any info about the before vs after. I could just picture her having 4 birds all using a single nest before and after. I'm a skeptic, can you tell? I don't have any catmint, but think I'll try lemon balm along with the lavender, it'll smell good if nothing else, right? I have a huge bush of rosemary, too.

My 3 pullets (not yet laying) got pretty excited last night when they went to roost and noticed the lavender in the nest box. They started pecking at it, then one hopped in and started scratching all around like crazy! Crazy chickens! Two of them are getting red in the face, I'm getting excited about seeing eggs again!

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Ok... I've been hogging this thread today, sorry! I've been away for several days and had to do some catching up. Welcome to any newcomers I missed!

I was in the garden this morning and cut some lavender for the coop and it got me to thinking about just how effective the practice is of adding herbs. Is it an old wives tale, or is there some valid studies to back it up. I haven't been thorough in my search but I found an article I wanted to share with anyone interested. It's about birds adding herbs to their nests, not chickens. Here's the link Birds Line Nests with Natural Antibacterials

Kate.... sounds like you're back in the bird business, yippee!
Fascinating.

Howdy to TACampbell:welcome

Never, ever, write down what you're planning to do in the coming week or you'll never have the energy to face the work after seeing how big the list is :oops: :old

Hee! They look like what I cut off Baaachus today.
lau.gif

Are you all sufficiently impressed that I finally got a new password so I can join you again? My computer is still an annoying piece of junk. The screen display randomly shrinks to just 12% multiple times an hour and each time I have to force shut-down and it loses all my passwords that usually fill in automatically, so I am rarely on the beast anymore.
What impresses me even more, is your DH is a big-shot Microsoft computer-programming engineer !!!!!!!!!!
How come he cannot fix your puter ?
idunno.gif

Hi guys, a quick HELLO before MY poopy puter poops out on me again.

We have to go to OLY tomorrow for Doc appt & may be ringing up TotalColour...maybe !
As of right now, I am trying to coordinate a meet up with Lutefisk again...so we'll see~~~~~~~~

Have a great day !!!!!!!!!!!

frow.gif

That's great to hear! Who would have thought the broody would pull it in around the eggs.... that's really interesting. I read one blog that said something similar but I was taking it with a grain of salt because she was advertising an herb product, plus she didn't give any info about the before vs after. I could just picture her having 4 birds all using a single nest before and after. I'm a skeptic, can you tell? I don't have any catmint, but think I'll try lemon balm along with the lavender, it'll smell good if nothing else, right? I have a huge bush of rosemary, too.

My 3 pullets (not yet laying) got pretty excited last night when they went to roost and noticed the lavender in the nest box. They started pecking at it, then one hopped in and started scratching all around like crazy! Crazy chickens! Two of them are getting red in the face, I'm getting excited about seeing eggs again!

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Fascinating.

That's awesome!

Are you all sufficiently impressed that I finally got a new password so I can join you again? My computer is still an annoying piece of junk. The screen display randomly shrinks to just 12% multiple times an hour and each time I have to force shut-down and it loses all my passwords that usually fill in automatically, so I am rarely on the beast anymore.
What impresses me even more, is your DH is a big-shot Microsoft computer-programming engineer !!!!!!!!!! How come he cannot fix your puter ?
idunno.gif
Software guys are not hardware guys, though, nor are they tech support guys, oh, boy are they not tech support guys. My husband's long career is built on that dataset.

Hi guys, a quick HELLO before MY poopy puter poops out on me again. We have to go to OLY tomorrow for Doc appt & may be ringing up TotalColour...maybe ! As of right now, I am trying to coordinate a meet up with Lutefisk again...so we'll see~~~~~~~~ Have a great day !!!!!!!!!!!
frow.gif
I'd say drop by and say howdy only tomoorw is hired hand day, and I will therefore be twice as busy as most days and also not at home for a chunk of it.

I just dried a bunch of catmint and catnip last week. Only my male cat likes any of it and only the catnip, and it must be dried. So I'll store some of the catmint for the nest boxes. I'll try giving them some later today and see how they like it.

Back
Top Bottom