Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hello my fellow Washingtonians,

I have a question and wanted all your opinions on it
wink.png

What are your thoughts on the long term health of hatchery vs. breeder hens? Specifically, LF brown egg layers breeds - not hybrids?

If all things are equal in how they are raised ( quality food, fresh water, clean conditions, adequate ventilation, etc) have you found that hens from reputable breeders have proven to have better reproductive health ( less prone to EYP, internal laying etc) then hatchery birds?

I am not looking for maximum egg count but as much as my older GSLs have suffered with reproductive issues I really don't want any other birds to go through that. So far my BR & EE (also hatchery) seem to be holding up better. I don't need SOP/SQ birds but would certainly be willing to pay more for chicks and/or pullets if there was a better chance for long term health.

Thanks and for those Westerners like myself - enjoy the sunshine
highfive.gif

wink.png

What are your thoughts on the long term health of hatchery vs. breeder hens? Specifically, LF brown egg layers breeds - not hybrids?

If all things are equal in how they are raised ( quality food, fresh water, clean conditions, adequate ventilation, etc) have you found that hens from reputable breeders have proven to have better reproductive health ( less prone to EYP, internal laying etc) then hatchery birds?

I am not looking for maximum egg count but as much as my older GSLs have suffered with reproductive issues I really don't want any other birds to go through that. So far my BR & EE (also hatchery) seem to be holding up better. I don't need SOP/SQ birds but would certainly be willing to pay more for chicks and/or pullets if there was a better chance for long term health.

highfive.gif

Welcome to all the new people!

Pretty slow around here, hatches have been a trickle as the young ones are laying yet and the adults are molting. My folks and neighbor pitched in today and helped finish some pens (normally wouldn't need the help but had to have hernia surgery last week so I'm pretty much useless for the next month or so) so I didn't have to sell off a bunch of stock.

Some of the young are looking very promising, just have to decide if I want to show badly enough when they will be just starting to lay or if I should just leave then home to get some babies before I start showing.

Matt, take care of yourself, I know it's going to set you back for several days. DH had that done a few years ago, ouch! That was nice of your friend to help out!

Show one, breed one?

I'm not sure. I have a couple of birds that love to eat ants. Most of them aren't interested in ants other than the pupae. DE won't help with ants. They have a protective shell that is durable. If the ants aren't wood chewers (chicken favorite here. Haven't seen any in over a year) I wouldn't worry to much. But then I don't really freak out about ants unless they are in the house. Well spiders have mostly gotten to that point to. Stay outside and I don't care much what you do.

Thanks Kim, they don't really bother me much unless they get into my personal space. I was surprised the girls weren't in a hurry to eat them, though. Oh well, silly birds.

wink.png

highfive.gif

Welcome! Glad to have you here.
frow.gif

You've asked a good question, one I've thought about several times, too. It seems to me that the problem is in the genetics more than where they are bred and raised. If I buy several hatchery birds and just breed them I don't see how the second generation would be any stronger than the originals. However, if the breeding program incorporates other birds from proven stock with a history of healthy birds, then there should be some improvements.

So far my experience has been like yours. I've recently gotten birds I hope will be healthier and stronger. I think getting to know the breeders and their reputations is the key to finding the birds you'll be happy with. BYC is a good place to start, and going to the shows to meet the breeders, too. They often have birds they've hatched from their breeding programs that aren't SQ or don't show the qualities they're looking for, but they're still good chickens.

So I'm just stopping in to say HI and to welcome all the new people. I'm not on often but I'm trying to get better.
I have 3 kittens that I need to find good homes for. My husband found them in June in our garage so they are so sweet and are great using the little box. Love to keep them but we have to many animals. So please one if you'd like one or all or is you have a friend who would. Oh there are two black and one gray tabby. I don't have a clue of the sex sorry.

wink.png

highfive.gif
Welcome, and yes, enjoying sunshine.

To your question. I have had both breeder/heritage birds and hatchery/feedstore birds. I have noticed that "some" of the hatchery birds tend to be less healthy, but in general, I haven't seen a huge difference. Of course, it could be the breeds I have, rather than where they are from. Some breeds are hardier than others - particularly for region. Some do better in heat, or wet than others.

My overall feeling is that I will pay a bit extra for quality birds. Just because I hatch some, and will get a better return on chicks if they are from quality parents.

I have noticed one thing though, all my hatchery birds (except the broilers) tend to be on the smaller size for the breed. Could be hatchery bad breeding practices!?!?!?

Quote: It is because hatcheries focus on egg production and not SOP size. They will breed early layers long before breeding for size. This is why commercial birds are on average 1-3lbs smaller than SOP for a specific breed. And hatcheries don't breed for temperament. So that is why you can sometimes get real arnery birds. I myself breed to SOP and docile temperament. I have a gorgeous Blue Silkie I am not going to be using, simply because his attitude is too aggressive for Silkies. I do have hatchery birds and non-hatchery birds. In-fact, I had to re-home an English Orp cock because he was twice the weight as my hatchery girls and was rubbing the feathers off their little backs, and it is too bad because he gave great looking chicks.

I have been told that with kittens if you turn them over look for either an exclamation point or a semicolon, no idea which is which, I think I may have a good idea but don't want to offend anyone getting too teechnical:D

Welcome, and yes, enjoying sunshine.

To your question. I have had both breeder/heritage birds and hatchery/feedstore birds. I have noticed that "some" of the hatchery birds tend to be less healthy, but in general, I haven't seen a huge difference. Of course, it could be the breeds I have, rather than where they are from. Some breeds are hardier than others - particularly for region. Some do better in heat, or wet than others.

My overall feeling is that I will pay a bit extra for quality birds. Just because I hatch some, and will get a better return on chicks if they are from quality parents.

I have noticed one thing though, all my hatchery birds (except the broilers) tend to be on the smaller size for the breed. Could be hatchery bad breeding practices!?!?!?

It is because hatcheries focus on egg production and not SOP size. They will breed early layers long before breeding for size. This is why commercial birds are on average 1-3lbs smaller than SOP for a specific breed. And hatcheries don't breed for temperament. So that is why you can sometimes get real arnery birds. I myself breed to SOP and docile temperament. I have a gorgeous Blue Silkie I am not going to be using, simply because his attitude is too aggressive for Silkies. I do have hatchery birds and non-hatchery birds. In-fact, I had to re-home an English Orp cock because he was twice the weight as my hatchery girls and was rubbing the feathers off their little backs, and it is too bad because he gave great looking chicks.
Do either of you have recommendations for breeds that are well suited to PNW living? I prefer larger docile breeds over the smaller flighty types since we live in town with very close neighbors.
And thanks for your opinions!

Back
Top Bottom