Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

The smaller buff just has a tiny version of the big one's comb. Single with 5 points. They didn't start to look really different from one another until about 8 weeks ago.

. Holy cow my poor hen laid a huge egg today. It's easily twice as big as the normal egg size.

This is a story of a pullet.

This is Lola

She's a feisty girl and loves her food. She loves being in the front yard more than in the backyard run. She would lay in the nest box but no egg. She tried and practiced for weeks. We encouraged her and so did the other pullets by signing the egg song. Even Mr. Rooster helped out by singing the egg song along with them.

Finally after weeks of practice we found

It was a small egg but it was perfect. The shell wasn't to thick or to thin. Just really a perfect little egg. We were all so proud of her and waiting for the next egg. I even posted on the egg song thread all about her first egg! She was very sporadic about her laying though. We would find maybe one egg a week from her while the others were laying every day.

Lola has a thing for our shed in the front yard. It is were we store bales of straw and alpha. Today we could not find her in the back run so we checked the shed.
There she was

We tried to move her off the nest but she pecked us and no amount of treats would make her budge. So we left her to her egg laying business (we hoped) and checked back in a couple of hours.
This is what we found

She's been holding out on us! Sneaky girl

ETA
I'm starting to wonder if she has told the other girls about her hiding spot and how the heck did we end up with pink tinged eggs?

Last edited:
I have an old fat hen that crows about once a week. Not sure what her breeding is but she looks like a Jersey Giant crossed with a Black Copper Marans. Usually she starts to crow when the rooster wakes her up too early and she crows back at him to shut up.
I have/had a few Marans 'women' who had tiny SHARP spurs and they did indeed
"crow" once in a while, no where near what a full testosterone-filled cock bird will do, and she /they/ never developed hackle which is evident in male birds at 2-3 mo of age far before they begin "crowing"

How is her shape compared to your other hens….males will often be a bit taller and thicker of leg and their tail feathers will begin to curve more, their comb will start to be more pronounced…..flip her over and compare her and a few other hens in the vent area…the vents of older females will have a wider smile than boys who will be a smaller O…..I have a buff trio and the boy at 4 months is clearly a boy, so am guessing yours is a pullet.
Love the "wider smile"...................
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom