Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

As I recall, our Ameracauna that we got on fathers day and think just layed (our other Ameracuana is molting) was 2 weeks old when we got her from farmland. But after 2 days have gone by and a second shellless egg from our year old molting ameracauna, we are having doubts it was our pullet who layed : /

2 shell less eggs in a 2 week time frame from the same bird we thought was molting... any thoughts?

Most likely it's the molting causing the issue. Most birds don't lay when molting. I always up the protein of the feed when mine are molting. Oystershell is always offered on the side year round.

Quote:
There is one lady, whom I cant remember off hand who has a few. She should have some for sale this coming spring I believe, but I could be wrong. I am after a GCM this spring myself. Told my wife I would wait till spring, seeing as we just had our son 4 weeks ago : o I guess its time to get some oyster shells for our girls as well : / The list of things to get for chickens just keep growing haha. We wired the chicken coop this past Saturday. Now they have a light in there coop as well. I will post pictures and add it to my coops page soon.

I ordered dd some 4H books that she can work on and they came in today! She is super excited. She's one of those weird kids that likes workbooks. I love it makes homework time easy lol

Urgh. I'm sending my husband to live with @Chickielady so he can get all the canned fish he wants. I'm on my first batch of canned tuna that I've ever done. Makes my back hurt to stand over stuff for so long.
Hi guys !
I have been fishing & canning,( and had a old friend visit for a week) and fishing & canning my rear OFF and Einstein's rear as well !

At this point I think we have over 15 cases of QUARTS of tomatoes, this is stewed, whole, or sauce.
Then about 6 cases PINTS of SALSA, assorted alarms there !
wee.gif
HOT, Medium & who knows ?!?! After months stored in a jar, jalapenos & other peppers can get a whole lot hotter than they were when you canned them !
wee.gif

Then we have done 5 cases quarts of pears (remember, there is 12 in a case)
Then there is 2 cases pints of Texas Caviar...and 2 cases Italian Stewed Prunes..............................................YUMMMMM !
What else.............oh yeah

*-10 cases GREEN BEANS (Quarts)
2 Cases TUNA in wine (pints)
1 Case Tuna in spring water....(pints)......I am forgetting something here but whatever......
Anyways,

HI GUYS !
So maybe in the next few weeks I may get a chance to come back on every so often as the garden gives me time to....
frow.gif

I ordered dd some 4H books that she can work on and they came in today! She is super excited. She's one of those weird kids that likes workbooks. I love it makes homework time easy lol

I always loved work books, and I spent my entire life at a desk, drawing, when I was not out on a horse somewhere.
Drawing.
Endless drawing.
big_smile.png

Just finsihed this one last fall.............................. It is now on display at the "Healing Gallery" in Aberdeen, WA.
They have a web site, too...but I have not been on it ?
Guess I should.
But YES give the kids everything they hunger for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paper, workbooks, jars for bugs !
ya.gif

P.S. Dang she is CUTE !!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow, that is impressive. I don't can anywhere near that. I was only doing jams, fruit, and juices. This was my first year using the pressure canner. One jar of tuna didn't seal. The rest were fine. I opened a jar of the plain tuna for Mike's lunch today. It was pretty good.

Hi Carolei and Welcome to the Washington Thread!
frow.gif

What breeds are your pullets? It's exciting waiting for that first egg from each one isn't it? They will generally begin to lay when they are between 18 & 24 weeks old. But that's definitely not a hard and fast rule. A few will start younger and a few will take FOREVER. A lot depends on the breed, or mixture if they are cross bred like the sex links. The bird in thegoliath's picture is a typical Easter Egger (a mix) so may have started younger. If they are reaching POL (point of lay) when the days are getting shorter in the fall they will often wait until spring to start, which isn't a bad thing healthwise, but very frustrating for those waiting.
wink.png

Thanks for the welcome!
My girls are 16 weeks old today! I'm getting ready to set up the nest box for them. I have two Buff Orpingtons, one Australorp, One Barred Rock and one Speckled Sussex, but I'm afraid the Speckled Sussex is a roo -- which is very sad because s/he is a favorite and I won't be able to keep her if she's male. I think the Barred Rock, Roxanne, will be the first to lay. Her comb and wattles are getting red. I'm going to take some pictures of Luna, the Speckled Sussex, to get some opinions on her gender. Her comb and wattles are still small and pale, but s/he has pointy tail feathers :(

I always loved work books, and I spent my entire life at a desk, drawing, when I was not out on a horse somewhere. Drawing. Endless drawing. :D Just finsihed this one last fall.............................. It is now on display at the "Healing Gallery" in Aberdeen, WA. They have a web site, too...but I have not been on it ? Guess I should. But YES give the kids everything they hunger for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Paper, workbooks, jars for bugs ! :ya P.S. Dang she is CUTE !!!!
Thank you! The kid is a ham! She loves school, collects rocks and tumbles them, crafty stuff, singing, dancing and animals of any kind... Well except spiders. She screams when there are spiders! She has said for years she wants to be a veterinarian.

Hello friends. I'm new with chickens but I love them and I would love to find some more to add into my flock. Also I'm here for help in taking care if them. I live in bellingham. Thank you.!

Last edited:
I always loved work books, and I spent my entire life at a desk, drawing, when I was not out on a horse somewhere. Drawing. Endless drawing. :D Just finsihed this one last fall.............................. It is now on display at the "Healing Gallery" in Aberdeen, WA. They have a web site, too...but I have not been on it ? Guess I should. But YES give the kids everything they hunger for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Paper, workbooks, jars for bugs ! :ya P.S. Dang she is CUTE !!!!
And that drawing is amazing!!! My talent doesn't go much past stick figures lol

Back
Top Bottom