Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Quote: Well I already bought the feed and since she'll be taking care of them for a few months I'm fine with using up the 50lbs. I prefer to medicate and play it safe; I've been scared of cocci from a couple little incidents with my flock, so for me it's better safe than sorry. We will definitely do ACV, we always do :)
So, I may be just a crazy person, but I don't vaccinate and do not plan on doing so with my chickens. I am a huge fan of ACV, and can understand the need for medication. Are there others out here who choose not to vaccinate their flock? Just curious how their flocks do....
I could care less if they're vaccinated, but I get a lot of chicks from SFS and his all have Marek's vaccine. I think it's safer to do that, but really there are risks in all our choices. Do what you're comfortable with.

Quote: Well I already bought the feed and since she'll be taking care of them for a few months I'm fine with using up the 50lbs. I prefer to medicate and play it safe; I've been scared of cocci from a couple little incidents with my flock, so for me it's better safe than sorry. We will definitely do ACV, we always do :)
So, I may be just a crazy person, but I don't vaccinate and do not plan on doing so with my chickens. I am a huge fan of ACV, and can understand the need for medication. Are there others out here who choose not to vaccinate their flock? Just curious how their flocks do....
I could care less if they're vaccinated, but I get a lot of chicks from SFS and his all have Marek's vaccine. I think it's safer to do that, but really there are risks in all our choices. Do what you're comfortable with.

Cool, yeah always better safe than sorry. It won't hurt you if you eat her eggs once she does start laying again. It is NOT an antibiotic, so poses no health risk to you.

About Maerk's vaccine, I have read that it is only good in the chicks system for up to 5 hours after injected. If you have a large scale hatchery, then yes it is beneficial. It is not practical for small backyard flocks. M Best(well known Silkie/Cochin breeder) does not vaccinate for it. It is not cost effective to do your own chicks unless on large scale. The risk is greater on the other side of the country than here, from what research I have done on it. None of my 16 birds are vaccinated.

Cool, awesome, thanks for clarifying. I have read both sides of the argument, just don't know anybody personally yet with chickens, lol!

I'd prefer stain for the outside too. I have a gallon of this stuff:
http://findnsave.indystar.com/Product/5594390/Cwf-uv-Cedar-Tone-gal
that I used on my other coop. Would a couple of coats of that work? Would you also stain the inside or would you paint the inside?
Yes that would work. Personally I'd use the stain all over it inside and out. Because chickens produce a lot of moisture. I'd also try to get something to put down on the bottom of the inside to keep me from scraping the wood when i clean it out. Like scrap pieces after someone gets their kitchen floor done or something.

So, I may be just a crazy person, but I don't vaccinate and do not plan on doing so with my chickens.  I am a huge fan of ACV, and can understand the need for medication.  Are there others out here who choose not to vaccinate their flock?  Just curious how their flocks do....

I don't vaccinate. The lady at Reber Ranch recommended against vaccinating chickens. I don't know the reason. Since I hatched the last few, I did not vaccinate those either. So far so good. All of my chickens have been healthy. Fingers crossed they stay that way.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I am getting closer to bringing them home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is almost like being 39 week pregnant lol!!

Back
Top Bottom