Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I'm in Kent/Tukwilla/Renton border Mon-Fri, I can serve as a mid-way point for anybody needing deliveries Tacoma-Gig Harbor

The chicken guy at Reber told me today that Amprollium doesn't get into eggs because it's only in their digestive tract. So he advised me to buy the new chicks/mama Lucy medicated chick starter vs. flock raiser. Is this accurate? I don't mind if he was wrong, but we'll toss her eggs once she starts laying again if he was wrong.

Yes this is accurate.

So, I may be just a crazy person, but I don't vaccinate and do not plan on doing so with my chickens. I am a huge fan of ACV, and can understand the need for medication. Are there others out here who choose not to vaccinate their flock? Just curious how their flocks do....

I do not vaccinate. I've read that with small (less than 100) birds in a back yard flock that you do not intend to show - there is much less risk for Marek's and other nasties so I choose to not vaccinate. So far the birds have been just fine.

Quote:
I'll bring you some next time I drive over.

:)

Hi, it doesn't sound silly at all.  I have the same story.  One lone RIR hen that was left here by a renter when we took our rental off the market.  I gave her the same promise.  Last June I got 4 EE chicks to go with her.  They are now a tight flock.  She loves having other chickens around. Her best friend before this was the next door neighbors old dog.  She and Abby the dog slept, played and roamed together.  Now she doesn't give Abby the time of day and loves having a chicken coop.

By the way, you are just over the hill from me.  I'm off the Suquamish Hwy. X Lincoln in Poulsbo.
Kathy

I know right where your at! lol Would take me about 3 minutes to get to that intersection! lol

At the moment our hen is content bedding down in the outdoor dog bed! She sleeps on my porch, gets brought inside when the temps dip below freezing, and is generally spoiled rotten for a chicken! lol Tough little thing that she is!

I'm in Kent/Tukwilla/Renton border Mon-Fri, I can serve as a mid-way point for anybody needing deliveries Tacoma-Gig Harbor

if someone offers eggs that you can get for me I can pay you with one almost 7 month old pullet that has been laying eggs. She tries to bark like a dog and sometimes makes a crowing sound because she's confused about what she is.

Yes, I am reading that vaccinations weren't the norm for backyardigans. Thank you all for your responses, puts my mind at ease
smile.png

This is awesome :) I am either going to hatch icelandics or bantams (to be determined - probably dutch or japanese or both.) I'll message you if I end up hatching bantams!

Yay - congrats Robin! :bun

You have Icelandics?!? They are fairly small in comparison to other LF breeds right? I know they are VERY hardy and fend well for themselves. At least that's what a couple years of reading on them have taught me. lol

What are your experiences with them so far? Do you like them?

Im looking for something that will watch the sky. Lots of eagles who like to make attempts at the birds around here. The new pen will be directly next to my house, between the house and a horse stall... I figured that would be the most secure place to put them. In with the dog/coyote eating horse!

Back
Top Bottom