Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

We've had several losses to the hawks. There is a resident hawk that seems to ignore my birds, but in the spring and fall we've had others come through and get birds. The resident hawk has swooped down within 10 feet of some of my chickens (who were running for cover while I ran for them). Freaked me out, but she came back up with a rodent in her claws. She must be molting right now because I've seen some fluffy hawk feathers out around the place. Almost look like they came from the barred rocks except for the tan along with the black.

The bald eagles that hang out here ignore my birds. They hunt the ducks out on the pond, though. I've sat out watching the two of them come in with claws and the ducks go down under the water and the eagle misses and goes around in a circle to come back and try again. I've seen them spend 30 minutes trying to get their circle and dive coordinated enough that the following eagle will eventually snag one of the ducks when they come back up. Most of the time the ducks win the day and the eagles fly off to find something else.

I see people talking about coyotes, but has anyone had  losses from predator birds??  We used to think, "how wonderful, and eagle!".  Until "something" from the sky, killed and consumed one of our beautiful ducks this late spring.  :hit  Although we suspect a red tail hawk, eagles are not out of the question.  So now, every time one flies over, I think, "**** vulture!"  :mad:   We used to free range, but no more.  They are always flying around our area.... we had to build some tractors, and its more of a pain to be moving everyone around to keep them safe.   It was a nice year of free ranging while it lasted!! 

We have had our African Gander killed by coyotes in broad day light by coyotes. A bald eagle swooped down and tried to get his mate and missed her...I wasnear at the time. Raccoons, are cute but..... sorry you lost your duck.

I see people talking about coyotes, but has anyone had  losses from predator birds??  We used to think, "how wonderful, and eagle!".  Until "something" from the sky, killed and consumed one of our beautiful ducks this late spring.  :hit  Although we suspect a red tail hawk, eagles are not out of the question.  So now, every time one flies over, I think, "**** vulture!"  :mad:   We used to free range, but no more.  They are always flying around our area.... we had to build some tractors, and its more of a pain to be moving everyone around to keep them safe.   It was a nice year of free ranging while it lasted!! 

We- as in the chicken growers on this property, not the ones in my house- have lost young birds to Coopers Hawks, one laying hen to a Redtail, and at least five that I know of to Great Horned Owls- especially in winter, when my cousin leaves for work well before dawn.

Coyotes are a much bigger problem, since they hunt in the area between our houses, and lie in wait in the brush just outside his fence to pick off a chicken a day in pup-feeding season.

His free-range, mine are under wire. I haven't lost any to predation.

Last edited:
I have eagles and hawks also, and have seen them swooping over my chicken yard. So far, the rooster has been doing a good job at alerting the flock and getting them under cover (their coop is set up on stilts, giving them a pretty good hiding place). My neighbor directly below us has lost hens to she thinks raccoons, or possibly predatory birds - whatever it was ate out their breast and left them in the coop. She's also just lost one hen, no sign of it. Strange that we are so close and I have so far (knock on wood) not had any problems. I do have a medium sized dog, who regularly patrols the perimeter of the chicken yard, so perhaps she is a good deterrent. Neighbor is on 5 acres, we're on 15, so lots of wildlife habitat.

We have a coyote who wiped out my neighbors laying flock of 20 chickens. When she came home from work, he was trotting down the road with one in his mouth. Last week the chickens were making a huge ruckus. My husband went behind the barn where the noise is and there that coyote was. He wasn't 20 feet from our chickens. Bill chased it down the hill. He has a .22 in the barn now in case he returns but so far not.

I am wondering if there are people you can pay to hunt a coyote in southwestern washington?
Do you seriously want someone to come hunt them? If so, PM me-I have a few questions. My brothers would probably like to come do it.

Last edited:
Do you seriously want someone to come hunt them? If so, PM me-I have a few questions. My brothers would love to come do it.

Absolutely I am serious. I just found out that coyote has also completely wiped out all of the next door neighbor's chickens - including two huge roosters. Guess who's chickens are left?

Sending you a PM

I see people talking about coyotes, but has anyone had losses from predator birds?? We used to think, "how wonderful, and eagle!". Until "something" from the sky, killed and consumed one of our beautiful ducks this late spring.
hit.gif
Although we suspect a red tail hawk, eagles are not out of the question. So now, every time one flies over, I think, "**** vulture!"
somad.gif
We used to free range, but no more. They are always flying around our area.... we had to build some tractors, and its more of a pain to be moving everyone around to keep them safe. It was a nice year of free ranging while it lasted!!
I have chased eagles out of my yard a coupe of times. They're a lot less magnificent when they have your favorite hen in their talons.

Back
Top Bottom