Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Totalcolor, what side dishes go with goose? I feel like trying something a little different.
We used to do chestnut stuffing (a pain to clean, but you can get them already clean and packed). Or apple and walnut. A really nice sauce I like is a reduced port wine, with tomato paste and (goose or chicken) stock. It is very rich, but complements the goose well. Since goose is rich, stick with less rich sides. Haricots, carrots or baby peas. Roast or mashed potatos.

One old recipe I like uses a green pea and lettuce sauce. This is from the 17th 18th century British cookbook.

2 Tbs dripping from goose (or butter)
2 Tbs flour
1 cup shelled peas (frozen or canned ok)
2 cups stock
2 tbs heavy cream
1-2 tsp lemon juice
5-6 lettuce leaves (bib type - finely shredded)
sprigs of mint, parsley sage to taste

cook flour in butter/dripping 1-2 mins. Add hot stock, stir to prevent lumps. Boil until thickened. Add peas and shredded lettuce and herbs. Cove pan and simmer gently for 15-20 mins. Remove herb sprigs, and liquidize the sauce. Add lemon juice, cream and correct seasoning. Add nutmeg to taste.

Rhubarb or cranberry sauces go well with this.

Goose is truly my favourite, but not having it this year, since we are having a large gathering, and goose doesn't go very far!\

Have a good one. And let me know what you tried with it and how you liked it!

I'm thinking gingered carrots and Polish cabbage with sour cream, or would that be too rich? Perhaps a sweet and sour cabbage.

Older son deathly allergic to legumes, so they're out.
I love the idea of gingered carrots, don't think I've ever had Polish cabbage, I have no idea about the sour cream. Having missed lunch, gingered carrots sound fabulous! (Especially with a little citrus maybe)

Quote:
I'm thinking gingered carrots and Polish cabbage with sour cream, or would that be too rich? Perhaps a sweet and sour cabbage.

Older son deathly allergic to legumes, so they're out.
I love the idea of gingered carrots, don't think I've ever had Polish cabbage, I have no idea about the sour cream. Having missed lunch, gingered carrots sound fabulous! (Especially with a little citrus maybe)
http://www.food.com/recipe/polish-sour-cream-cabbage-239633

I don't think I've had this either, but i am half Polish.

Back
Top Bottom