Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hi! I haven't been here in a loooong time! I'm not sure how many of you will remember me. I'm Sara, I live in NE Seattle. I have 2 kids and 11 chickens (10 girls and one boy), 3 cats. I was busy for a while and didn't visit BYC but now I'm the opposite of busy. I'll be lurking around more often. I'm lonely :)
Come on over!

Welcome back Sara!

I just logged in here for the first time in months a few days ago myself! I am busy entertaining my son while he's on winter break, so we were up your way visiting friends yesterday.

I've got a lab, 3 kittens, and I seriously have not counted chickens lately.
big_smile.png

Let's see- maybe we can count together here:

I have a mixed flock of layers - 2 Ameracaunas, 1 leghorn (that's been broody twice!) , a white rock, barred rock, some olive eggers, 2 marans, 3 welsummers, (and a roo that is definitely too small for SQ) a silver leghorn (who just lost her husband~sniffle!), some completely useless silkies, including 2 hens and a showgirl, plus the silky rooster that mounts his women backwards half the time. Then there's the lonely faverole that gets picked on, so we keep trying new pens to put her in. Of course, we've got a few we think are plain 'ol fun so keep them. There's some black chicken mutts that are the product of my super-super broody mama- a gold laced Wyandotte and we're unsure who the daddy was, but probably part from our old EE, and some from our welsummer, There's 4 of those. There's one surviving spitz from 3 that were given to me very sick, and this one of course is a rooster who will jump on your shoulder like a parrot. I've got one legbar rooster with a sideways tail. No idea why, but the other one was like that too (inbreeding?). The 2 hens I got both died- one rather quickly and the other was found dead one morning. No clue what happened.

I CAN say I have some wonderful rare Bielefelders. They are the ones that Greenfire sells for $149 a day-old pullet and $99 for a day-old cockerel. These are my favorite chickens, and not because they are rare or expensive, because they are calm and curious. They lay really big brown eggs, and the first eggs they have laid were the size of a regular large chicken egg, so I am, excited to see what size they will be laying when their eggs are "full size". They are BIG chickens, roosters up to 13 lbs., and hens up to 10 lbs. I love the crele coloring and love how docile they are. They are my all time favorites. While they don't lay a "groovy" colored egg, (there's are medium brown), they lay lots of them.

I've got a incubator full of Bielefelder eggs right now, and some will be hatching this weekend, then some more in 2 weeks. I can't keep all that I hatch, so will be selling them- maybe on CL.
I only know one other person in WA that has them so far - do y'all know anyone else?

I've got a meeting at my house at 2:00 so I better get going here and make sure things are tidied up. Nice to see you back on BYC!

I haven't been on here in months but have been recently in the market for some more chickens! I went chicken crazy last year and had 28 and a rooster. It was too much for my property haha. I currently have a barnevelder and lavender orpington. I would LOVE to buy a blue laced red Wyandotte but I want one that has that deep red and very defined blue lace. Does anyone know a breeder in Washington? I know I can order them through a hatchery but I want to see them in person and you cant just order 1 or 2. I also don't want a day old chick. Id like them to be atleast 3-6 months old. I know that's asking a lot for a rare bird but I figured id ask if anyone knew where I might find some in WA!!!!
Something like this

Not like this

I would LOVE to have a couple Bielefelders. I've heard a lot of good about them. There is no way I could spend that much on a chicken though. I've seen an ad on craigslist about them.

I'm going to be ordering from a hatchery, not sure which yet probably Privett, for a selection of bantams. Mostly Japanese and d'uccles. But also want to try raising a few ducks and heritage turkeys. I'd rather get those locally, but I have no idea where to get them. Anyone have a good recommendation?

And Happy New Year! Well, almost. Just a couple hours left to go. Fireworks are legal here and they are going off constantly right now. I barely stay awake until midnight. My husband is Russian and they celebrate it like Christmas, so I try to be a good wife and participate. :p

I haven't been on here in months but have been recently in the market for some more chickens! I went chicken crazy last year and had 28 and a rooster. It was too much for my property haha. I currently have a barnevelder and lavender orpington. I would LOVE to buy a blue laced red Wyandotte but I want one that has that deep red and very defined blue lace. Does anyone know a breeder in Washington? I know I can order them through a hatchery but I want to see them in person and you cant just order 1 or 2. I also don't want a day old chick. Id like them to be atleast 3-6 months old. I know that's asking a lot for a rare bird but I figured id ask if anyone knew where I might find some in WA!!!!
Something like this

Not like this

I was just looking through Craigslist and saw Baxter Barn in Fall City had some. I'd try them and see.

Thanks! I just looked on craigslist and couldnt find the ad. But I emailed them. Im not 100% for baxter barn. Thats where I bought my barnevelder and when I went all the chicks were shoved in these pens and there were sick ones laying there and he would grab em and shove their faces in water. I just like things spaced and all so im kinda picky lol. Thanks for your help!

Thanks! I just looked on craigslist and couldnt find the ad. But I emailed them. Im not 100% for baxter barn. Thats where I bought my barnevelder and when I went all the chicks were shoved in these pens and there were sick ones laying there and he would grab em and shove their faces in water. I just like things spaced and all so im kinda picky lol. Thanks for your help!

That is good to know. I messaged them to set up a time to go out and see them. I want a Spangled Russian Orloff and they have them. If they do not have a good facility or handle the birds properly, I will not be buying.

That is good to know. I messaged them to set up a time to go out and see them.  I want a Spangled Russian Orloff and they have them.  If they do not have a good facility or handle the birds properly, I will not be buying. 

I wouldnt say its terrible. Ive only been there once and maybe that day just wasnt at its top. Im going to try them once more so we will see whats its like this time around!

Back
Top Bottom