Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

They lay big eggs... 3 of the 4 are laying... don't know why #4 ain't puttin' out eggs... 3 eggs daily 56-72 grams... I treat them like business partners... no huggin'... but they see me coming toward the run and they greet me... they follow me as I walk around the run... They beg for scratch... they talk to me... (probably, where's the scratch)... I've almost got them trained to leave the coop when I say out , out, out... The really chatter when an egg has been laid... the egg song I guess it's called.. I can get to within 3-4 feet of them when in the run... then I have violated their space... I haven't tried to get really friendly... The roo is great now that he has been released from 3 weeks in jail... The matron hen keeps him in check... Fairly quiet since his "escape".... Only jumps the hens when they are ready instead of the 12 times a day sexcapade before his lock up... I have a lavender orpington and blue laced Wyandotte hens also..... they are really docile and friendly... I think I prefer the sagitta's... they are twice as big as the orp. and wyan... a really pretty bird...
any pictures to share? :)

thanks alot dave for the info and taking the time to share the pictures I was really curious over the breed when I was speaking with them, they sound like a nice meaty bird n produces eggs...they remind me an aweful lot of RIR's which I aviod like the plague where did your orp and wyandotte come from? :)

thanks alot dave for the info and taking the time to share the pictures I was really curious over the breed when I was speaking with them, they sound like a nice meaty bird n produces eggs...they remind me an aweful lot of RIR's which I aviod like the plague where did your orp and wyandotte come from? :)
Can I ask why you avoid Rhode Island Reds like the plague? They are nice birds that lay well and they have decent carcasses for a dual purpose bird. Mine are very friendly, easy to manage and I haven't had an aggressive one yet. I suspect you are actually referring to production reds or hatchery reds, which are really very different from a true Rhode Island Red. This is what a real red looks like

Can I ask why you avoid Rhode Island Reds like the plague? They are nice birds that lay well and they have decent carcasses for a dual purpose bird. Mine are very friendly, easy to manage and I haven't had an aggressive one yet. I suspect you are actually referring to production reds or hatchery reds, which are really very different from a true Rhode Island Red. This is what a real red looks like

just personal experience with my grandmother RIR they were some of the meanest buggers, and hell on wheels when broody................they always laid her tons of eggs though and she was happy with them for meat birds as well.I just developed a dislike for them from that experience

Quote:

It's amazing how early experiences can affect our ideas for the rest of our lives. A dog knocks you down, a duck chases you, a clown startles you, or your first plate of chow mein is the worst on the planet. It's nearly impossible to get past them sometimes. But I did eventually get some really good chow mein and love asian food now! I'm still on the fence with most dogs.
wink.png
Too bad your grandma didn't have the opportunity to breed for personality. I'm glad that's something breeders are aware of now and take into consideration when choosing their stock.

Just Fowling Around in Brewster....

I love my hatchery RIR. Here she is when she was a bit younger. She's a nice heavy bird and lays a lot of eggs, too. Not mean or difficult in any way.
How dark was this girl when she was younger? We have a RIR Roo we got from a 4H auction, and he's not hatchery/production lines. But we do have a RIR chick we got from a hatchery, and she is rather dark. Much darker than I expected from a hatchery. Maybe I'll try and get a photo of her later today. She's 10 weeks old.

This is our roo, he's darker in person. The lighting caused the photo to be overexposed a bit, but it gives you a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom