Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no! I don't like hearing that! My little "Caunnie" looks a lot like yours. I'm not feeling so good about the chicken home-front right now, either, as one of my three is injured. Last thing I need right now is to learn that I have a roo on my hands. I can't keep roosters.

Well I think I actually could keep Martha if she's a he, but I don't know that we will. I already got rid of one cockeral; it was a RIR with NO personality and I just didn't expect him to grow up very nice, so we brought him back to Seattle Farm Supply. Renee, it's hard to think about, but if you do have one and need to get rid of him, you can always replace him with more pullets of the same age. It's hard when they're your babies but they also have a job to do and if they (for whatever reason) can't do that job (meaning, cockerals can't give you eggs, LOL), then they aren't worth feeding extra feed and keeping them around :( That's my take on it. We have explained in detail to the kids that our birds are our pets but also have jobs; if they don't do their job of being a girl and giving us eggs, they have to go. The only reason we'd keep Martha/Marty is if s/he's a good flock protector; we plan to allow them to free-range a LOT in the half acre backyard :)

If ya ever need a hand out in sexing EE's I'm always around

Illia, any thoughts on my little Caunnie? These photos were taken today. She is 5 weeks, 4 days. Pullet? Or, Roo?

Also - does anyone have any information on figuring out the sex of a Rhode Island Red and a Light Brahma? I have searched and searched for info on both of those, but haven't come across any yet.

Definite girl!

Yay!
celebrate.gif
that's such good news to me. Can you tell me, do EEers just make really different chicken sounds or what?! Martha is SUCH a weird girl and is always cooing, purring, and almost sounds like a Pigeon!
hu.gif
It's simply adorable, but none of the other girls make the noises she does. I love her to death! Also, why would she be SO SO SO much bigger than the rest of the girls?

Also - does anyone have any information on figuring out the sex of a Rhode Island Red and a Light Brahma? I have searched and searched for info on both of those, but haven't come across any yet.
Your RIR is a pullet. By 5 weeks old, my RIR cockeral had a DEFINITE red comb and wattles and the pullet RIR did not. Here's a pic of Stew and Scarlett, we no longer have Stew:

Thanks!! I've been dying to know for a long time. She's seriously HUGE compared to all our other same-age pullets but I know EEers are hard to sex. Here s/he is! 7 weeks old:
I giggle everytime I see this picture. The chicken on the left just cracks me up by the look on her face. Its like she is looking at the chicken in the middle with disgust or something.
(easily amused tonight)

I giggle everytime I see this picture. The chicken on the left just cracks me up by the look on her face. Its like she is looking at the chicken in the middle with disgust or something.
(easily amused tonight)
She's just seeing green, Martha's my favorite and, well, that one's really dull.
lau.gif
It is a funny picture, now you've got me giggling! You shoulda seen the girls figure out the super high roost tonight, they were in heaven! They thought they were SO big and important up there
clap.gif

Renee, it's hard to think about, but if you do have one and need to get rid of him, you can always replace him with more pullets of the same age. It's hard when they're your babies but they also have a job to do and if they (for whatever reason) can't do that job (meaning, cockerals can't give you eggs, LOL), then they aren't worth feeding extra feed and keeping them around :( That's my take on it. We have explained in detail to the kids that our birds are our pets but also have jobs; if they don't do their job of being a girl and giving us eggs, they have to go. The only reason we'd keep Martha/Marty is if s/he's a good flock protector; we plan to allow them to free-range a LOT in the half acre backyard :)

That's true. And, you're right, it is hard to think about. Since we only have 3 chickens, and we have 3 kids who ended up "choosing" and naming one as their own (even though we told them not to name them in case we had to get rid of one, or more), it will definitely be hard to get rid of any of them.

I'm really nervous about my little Light Brahma who is injured and what I would do if something happens to her. My youngest boy, who has High Functioning Autism, named her. He adores her. I know he wouldn't take it very well. I really wish I knew what happened over the weekend while my husband and I were gone. I hope the kids didn't get out there and play with them or try to catch them. They're not supposed to.

Your RIR is a pullet.

YAY!!!!!
celebrate.gif

BTW... I wonder if all RIRs are dull. Mine is. She doesn't have much of a personality. But my EE and Light Brahma make up for it. Oh my gosh - my EE is a handful and so funny to watch. And, the Light Brahma is such a sweetheart. She's my cuddle-monkey. She seems to love being held.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom