Ways you make your chicken coop creative and unique

I love having pictures and curtains in my chicken house. It makes it so cheery for myself to go in and clean and somehow I think my girls like it as well. I try to recycle whenever possible...my roosts and boxes are all recycled..

The green roofs will be, yes, hen & chicks, but a bunch of other succulents that we already have growing in the front yard and pots, herbs, and we are planning on doing a crop of lettuce & spinach when the weather cools a bit. We just got the inside of the coop done today with the nesting boxes & roost, plus a fan, so next weekend it is planting time. We've got a bunch of compost ready to go, some peat moss and we'll buy some potting soil to get it started. We just need to lay down pool liner for protecting the wood and finish the drainage. My biggest concern is the chickens jumping up there and eating it all like they are doing in my strawberry & tomato beds!

I LOVE the green-roof idea! Here is my crazy Florida cracker coop. I let my three year olds' birthday guests paint it for fun. We are working on gathering enough palm fronds to make it a thatch-roof. It is built for heat, not cold, and the thatch should keep it even cooler!

52854_coop_expansion_006.jpg

Tasymo, your set-up is like chicken nirvana! When chickens are good and lay lots of eggs in this life, they get to come back as YOUR chickens in their next life to live in that chick cottage . . .LOL :) That is the most charming coop I have ever seen. Love it! ADORABLE!

meettheflockers I loved looking at your page, that is the cutest set up! You have beautiful silkies too!! I am about 2/3 finished with The Project, so this is keeping me motivated, thanks for sharing!
pop.gif

Here's the (almost) finished coop & run. I posted a separate message but thought I'd put this here for you as well. We will have to wait to see how all the greenery fills in, and do the landscaping at the front so it isn't just dirt. The interior has vinyl flooring for easy cleanup, a roost, 2 nesting boxes, a fan and a hatch for the ladder. This turned out to be a much bigger project that we planned but we are really happy with the results.
One other thing we do have that is very hard to get a picture of is a 'viewing portal' my husband built for me at the back side of the coop. It is a screened area so I can see inside the coop from my office (which the coop backs up to).
58060_037_3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom