Week old baby chick getting picked on, bleeding toes, now weak and lethargic! Help!

daisybelle

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 21, 2011
I have 6 pullets, one week old and doing great until this morning when I noticed my speckled sussex toes bleeding (one on each foot) and one appears to be broken. She was the smallest of them all from the beginning. Now she is very weak and lethargic. I cleaned her toes with soap/water and put Neosporin on. They are in a big horse trough with a red heat lamp. I have separated a portion of it with chicken wire and put her with a day old chick I just got for company. I 'm worried she is not going to make it, there was quite a bit of blood on the shavings at least it seems for one little chick to lose. Any suggestions of anything else I can do for her? Thank you!

You have to separate her, I have a similar problem with my 28 day old peeps. 8 of them grew fast and have most of their feathers, but 1 is 1/3 the size and is still fuzzy with just feathers on the wings. I put the healthy ones outside in the Coop today. Of course I live in South Texas and it is warm down here.

I have 6 pullets, one week old and doing great until this morning when I noticed my speckled sussex toes bleeding (one on each foot) and one appears to be broken. She was the smallest of them all from the beginning. Now she is very weak and lethargic. I cleaned her toes with soap/water and put Neosporin on. They are in a big horse trough with a red heat lamp. I have separated a portion of it with chicken wire and put her with a day old chick I just got for company. I 'm worried she is not going to make it, there was quite a bit of blood on the shavings at least it seems for one little chick to lose. Any suggestions of anything else I can do for her? Thank you!

Sorry for the caps lock. Not yelling, just wasn't looking at the keyboard and didn't realize it was on.
idunno.gif

YES. IF SHE CAN SEE THE OTHER CHICKS , JUST LEAVE HER IN THERE ALONE. YOU DID RIGHT TO SEPARATE HER BECAUSE ONCE THEY SEE BLOOD LIKE THAT, IT IS NOT UNCOMMON FOR THE OTHER CHICKS TO PESTER HER UNTIL SHE DIES. GOOD FOR YOU! GO TO THE FEED STORE OR (BETTER YET CHEAPER AT ) TRACTOR SUPPLY AND PICK UP A 4 OZ. BOTTLE OF POULTRY NUTRI-DRENCH. THIS PRODUCT IS TOP SHELF! I HAVE USED THEIR PRODUCTS FOR A DECADE ON MY BIRDS AND COLLIES. SHOULD BE 7.- 8. BUCKS. THIS DOESN'T NEED DIGESTING. MAINLINES RIGHT INTO THE BLOODSTREAM. EXCELLENT FOR STRESSED OUT & SICK BIRDS, YOUNG CHICKS, ANYTIME BIRDS NEED EMERGENCY NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENT.
50% UPTAKE IN 15 MINUTES, 99% UPTAKE IN 30 MINUTES. IT REALLY PERKS THEM UP. I WON'T RAISE CHICKS WITHOUT IT. GIVE ONE SINGLE DROP BY MOUTH EVERY 8-10 HRS. AS NEEDED. PER DIRECTIONS, PUT IN THEIR WATER FOR THE 1ST 2 WEEKS OF LIFE FOR A STRONG START. DOESN'T TAKE MUCH, FOLLOW DIRECTIONS, VERY CONCENTRATED.
Best Success with your birds,
Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited:
Thank You! I will get some of that tomorrow morning. I just peeked in on her and her head was up and seemed a little more alert than earlier so I hope she makes it through he night! I added some sugar to the water (1/2c. per 1 gallon) that was what I read on the Ideal website and have been dipping her beak in to make her drink. I tried giving her yogurt to, but she wanted no part of that!

Back
Top Bottom