Weepy eyed chick, (I am still pretty new at this, would love some experienced input).

Jazkabor

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 20, 2010
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Hello,

We have a polish baby, 1 wk old. It's left eye is weepy, and in the (front) corner there is a bump of "skin?". I was a little confused when we bought it, I didn't realize at the time. But it had been weepy for a couple days already. He told me,"It gets shaving stuck to it's face, I am going to watch that." I didn't realize it was having an actual issue. I thought he was just saying to keep it's face clean of debris.

I have never had a chick with an issue before. It is not crusty, or sticking. But it is always wet around the eye. Anyone have this before? Is it going blind? Honestly, I was thinking about giving it back and if not, culling it now. We can only have a few chickens, and being polish I don't really want it taking up a spot for one of my better layers. But if it should be fine I don't want to over react. I know you can't tell me for sure. But any experiences or thoughts you have I would be happy to hear them. The kids get attached you see so I hate to have them bond with a bird that doesn't have a purpose and can't stay here. Though it could be a "life lesson".

This was suppose to be my sons show bird for fair, so he will be spending a lot of time with it.

thank you so much for your time!

Could be an injury from pecking or the shavings thing is feasible either way you could flush the eye with sterile saline (contact solution). I am not sure what to make of the skin at the corner. There are eye salves or drops. Antibiotics if it looks Infected I guess. You will need to weigh the amount of effort you want to put into the chick.

Back
Top Bottom