Weird egg? Weird clump = "LASH" (GRAPHIC Pics)

Sorry I don't have a picture, but here is what happened to my girl:
I was observing my flock grazing on the pasture when I noticed one of my Isa Browns just standing, not moving, not eating. Seemed kind of strange to see her standing...then she took a step away and left, what it looked like from my position (about 30 ft away) was an egg. I thought that was odd, because all my chickens lay in the nesting boxes and she laid this thing standing up. The second she stepped away, the rest of the flock was gobbling it up as fast as they could. By the time I got out to see what it was, all that was left was a membraney-looking thing. Kind of like a sausage casing that resembled a translucent morel mushroom. The girls finished it off before I could take a picture. Soon after she was in the nesting box...I'll keep you posted of the outcome.

Sounds like she had what I like to call a oops egg.

OH and
welcome-byc.gif
muffy432002

Quote:
That sounds like "lash" all right! IF my other chickens had actually had the chance to go at it this would be a perfect description of what it was like - almost like skin but rubbery like a mushroom and grisley inside. I hope your hen returns to laying normally. Mine has still been rather sporadic about her egg-laying and I'm still suspicious that she may soon be "done" with laying. Do keep us updated! The more info in one post, the better it is for those who are researching this occurance in their own hens.
~ t.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I learned something new again today, even if it wasn't about chickens.
old.gif
You're never too old to learn something new. ~ t.

thumbsup.gif
No problem. Sorry I can't help with your situation.

I think I am experiencing a similar thing, found a lash this morning, hen was "looking" poorly yesterday but seems a lot better today. Is this normal alongside a lash?

I'm glad she's looking better. I don't anyone really knows what is normal in these cases. Were you able to get a picture?

Imp

Well although these posts have been on a while Ive found it very interesting to read. My hen Gertrude has been a bit off colour for a week or so now. She had gone off her food although she had always been on the thin side. Last week I noticed she was moulting and she now has new feathers coming through.

Today she laid a white, soggy skin and a meaty lump just like in the previous photos!! It must be a 'lash' ! It looked like a load of membranes inside and I had worried it was ovary related. I will keep an eye on her but hopefully she will be fine. She has been wormed recently and is much more interested in her food now. Fingers crossed she will be fine!

Ive only had her 6 weeks, shes a free range rescue hen.

Well although these posts have been on a while Ive found it very interesting to read. My hen Gertrude has been a bit off colour for a week or so now. She had gone off her food although she had always been on the thin side. Last week I noticed she was moulting and she now has new feathers coming through.

Today she laid a white, soggy skin and a meaty lump just like in the previous photos!! It must be a 'lash' ! It looked like a load of membranes inside and I had worried it was ovary related. I will keep an eye on her but hopefully she will be fine. She has been wormed recently and is much more interested in her food now. Fingers crossed she will be fine!

Ive only had her 6 weeks, shes a free range rescue hen.

Mine did this when she can back into lay. She was ok afterward. Good luck.

I posted earlier today about an object that I found in the coop. It looked like a 3" piece of grilled chicken with skin. I pulled it apart and found it stringy like chicken. Someone said it was lash and would likely lead to peritinitis (sp). I wondered what the long term effects were on the hens discussed earlier.
Good grief. Sometimes I am not thrilled to be learning something new everyday.

I posted earlier today about an object that I found in the coop. It looked like a 3" piece of grilled chicken with skin. I pulled it apart and found it stringy like chicken. Someone said it was lash and would likely lead to peritinitis (sp). I wondered what the long term effects were on the hens discussed earlier.
There is very little information about lashes. I think if it was a clearly known cause of, or related to, egg peritonitis there would be tons of hits and sites, if you googled.
It will be interesting if there is any info about the long term effect or cause of lashes.

Imp

A few years ago, I got lash eggs from two of my birds, after they acted ill. After a bit more they stopped laying. They recovered and were in otherwise good health. I contacted an avian vet at cornell and she said without a necropsy she could not determine the cause. She did suggest however, that my birds could have been exposed to a virus(from the wild bird population) and this virus caused damage in the hen's oviducts, which caused them to stop laying. I did cull them after a few months of not laying eggs(they were 1 year old birds and it was summer) I still have 1 bird that was with these two hens. She still lays eggs but I can always tell hers because she lays a funky shaped egg.
I think every case is different. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom