Weird egg? Weird clump = "LASH" (GRAPHIC Pics)

My
Bantam Silkie produced this a few minutes ago, she's 2 years old and hasn't laid an egg since July! Yuck!

Can you please give me an update. I've been searching the net for an explanation to the 'meaty' things my chickens have been laying, and I was so relieved to see your post. It's exactly the same.

I worry because my ex-battery hen, Amelia, laid one of these things (except it stank when I cut it open), and two days later she died. Another of my ex-battery hens, Ginger, has laid two separate (much smaller) 'meaty' things covered in blood, today.

Can you help me out with some info?

Regards,

Ann-Marie

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/12/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard.html

She explains a good bit on what lash egg might be. Tell me what you guys think.

I read it and it scared me. I found in the coop what looked like a shell-less egg that had been frozen and dessicated. Egg shaped but pretty wrinkly, I figured I somehow missed it for a few days of cold, picked it up and tossed it in the compost bin.

Dot, Barred Rock hatched 2/18/14, just began laying in late December. She suffered from respiratory something last summer - early. Recovered and regained all the weight she lost. Florence suffered from a similar thing in mid fall - We started treatment but we lost her. I think she didn't have strength to get in the hen house and broke her neck in a fall.

Dot, after a week or two of lovely large eggs, developed a cough again. I think she stopped laying. I suspect this wrinkly egg like thing I found outside the door to the hen house was hers... She is responding to treatment. She has regained her voice. Still makes little cough sounds that are almost like the bark of a dog. Her breathing sounds less stressed when I put my ear to her back to listen. Two more days of antibiotics to go.

She and the rest of the flock seem otherwise normal. We adopted a rooster just after Christmas. All that is going well yet the rooster had a respiratory ailment cleared up just weeks before we adopted him.

Too many clues!

I posted this in another thread, and someone thought it might be a lash. When I saw it, I feared it might be a whole ovary. It had a soft, moist texture.
It didn't smell much, other than like meat.

It came out of a RSL, she will be three this April.
She is eating and drinking, and in a dog crate in my basement right now. She just finished molt, and has been laying weird wrinkly eggs lately. Her comb is still rather pale as well.

I posted this in another thread, and someone thought it might be a lash. When I saw it, I feared it might be a whole ovary. It had a soft, moist texture.
It didn't smell much, other than like meat.

It came out of a RSL, she will be three this April.
She is eating and drinking, and in a dog crate in my basement right now. She just finished molt, and has been laying weird wrinkly eggs lately. Her comb is still rather pale as well.

The wrinkled egg is a sign of something but I do not recall what it is. The chicken vet may know something. http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx#eggshell_quality
There are pics of wrinkled eggs but I am not sure I found the cause of them on the site. Warning there is one graphic necropsy photo.

Edited to add:

Could she have infectious bronchitis? Do you give free choice oyster shell and grit? What feed do you use?

Last edited:
The wrinkled egg is a sign of something but I do not recall what it is. The chicken vet may know something. http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx#eggshell_quality
There are pics of wrinkled eggs but I am not sure I found the cause of them on the site. Warning there is one graphic necropsy photo.

Edited to add:

Could she have infectious bronchitis? Do you give free choice oyster shell and grit? What feed do you use?

Thank you for responding!
I feed Purina Layena, the layer ration Purina makes. I free offer oyster shell and grit. They do get kitchen scraps, such as cheese and lettuce stems, and BOSS every so often. They also have a flock block and a suspended suet cake for chickens during winter called hot cake.
Brownie, the RSL in question just came off a three month molt. She has her feathers back now, and has layed about three eggs, maybe four. My region has hard winters and I did get one prolapsed uterus last year on a leghorn. At first, I thought that's what this was, because it was hanging from her vent. That curly end was actually dangling.
I went to wash her vent area to push the organs back in, she panicked at being put into the sink, and that whole piece fell out. It really looked and felt like tissue, like an organ.
It was soft and moist. It looked like a little bit of vent picking may have happened because there was a little bit of blood on the shavings in the coop too.
After it came out, her vent did not seem swollen or bleeding, I applied some honey and put her in a darkened dog crate.

I haven't seen any signs of respiratory illness, no sneezing or coughing from any of them. Brownie seems frightened, but not sick. She does eat and drink, and the poo is slightly watery but close to normal.

I really appreciate the response, this was a traumatic event and I hope she pulls through!

I am hoping it is a fluke with her coming out of molt.
I had eggs like that (not as wrinkled) from one of my hens after a hawk decided my yard looked inviting and hung out for a few days trying to figure out the run. I figured my hen had gotten very very scared.
The other pic you posted is certainly odd. I did not see anything like it from my gals.
I did have a hen that at a young age suffered from shedding an ovary and passed away 6 months later having laid only 3 eggs after the shedding. The ovary looked a lot different and I honestly thought she was going to die within a day or two. I am shocked she made it 6 months.

Last edited:

I have been told this is what this might be. Would love any thoughts you have as there was not much "meaty" parts to it. like the inside of an egg and the transparent sack.

Back
Top Bottom