Weird Noise When Hen Shakes Head....

Mariosmom

Chirping
Jul 23, 2022
Hello! I have a 6 month old silkie hen who is exhibiting some strange behavior. She is shaking her head more than normal and when she shakes it makes a popping noise. She also is wiping her beak on the ground more than normal. I've checked her crop, checked for fleas, mites, discharge from eyes, etc and I don't see anything. She's currently broody and doesn't demonstrate behavior like this while sitting, only when I pick her up to free range with her crew.

I'm thinking something respiratory but with all my googling Im worried about a parasite. Anyone have experience with this and have advice on how to treat? Thanks!

I'd suggest poultry dench or Corid for her water. Also it could be just a normal thing that comes and goes like a bad habit. I actually see my chickens doing it on spring days when allergies are really bad and it makes me wonder if chickens get allergies too. Also my broody hen did that alot last year around the middle of incubation can't remember if allergies were bad at that time or not.

I'd suggest poultry dench or Corid for her water. Also it could be just a normal thing that comes and goes like a bad habit. I actually see my chickens doing it on spring days when allergies are really bad and it makes me wonder if chickens get allergies too. Also my broody hen did that alot last year around the middle of incubation can't remember if allergies were bad at that time or not.
That's what i'm hoping! Is corid ok to use even if I'm not sure. I've never had to medicate for anything so far and it makes me nervous! Would I need to give it to the whole flock?

I thought Corid is used for coccidiosis, not respiratory symptoms.

Head Shaking Here is a vimeo. You hear the noise right at the end after she does her broody body shake.
I heard it. It sounded like a wet rattle. No idea what is is..sorry. Do silkies have wattles under all that poof? Could they be smacking against her neck or chest if she’s pulled feathers to brood?

I thought Corid is used for coccidiosis, not respiratory symptoms.
I was leaning more towards VetRX since that's all natural, just not sure if I should have her drink it or rub it around her comb since she's been rubbing her face more her normal on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom